151 Kief/Hash Green Dragon

GrowTutor members & staff share their knowledge of cannabis concentrates & extractions.
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

151 Kief/Hash Green Dragon

Post by PsychedelicSam »

Making an effective and potent Green Dragon using 151 proof ethanol can be tricky using buds or trim and often turns out weaker than anticipated. With a standard Green Dragon the final potency can be increased by evaporating off more of the alcohol but because 151, whether Everclear or Rum or other, contains more water volume than 95% does, at a certain point in the evaporation there becomes more water than alcohol (alcohol evaporates faster). At that point you're left with an amber tinted (if rum) liquid with a layer of dark cannabis oil layer on the bottom and you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to recover it.

With this process that concern is removed. By using kief/hash as your extraction source you remove all that excess plant material that you had to cover with the alcohol to get a good soak. With kief/hash you just choose how much tincture you want and the potency and not have to worry about a lot of mess, either. For example, in this guide I used about 1.2g of dry ice hash in one ounce of 151 rum, with the hash having an approx ratio of 4g of pot to each gram. I got 7g of hash from an ounce of trim so just rough measurements. This is a great way to use your fan leaf effectively.

So lets get started, shall we?

First, decarb your hash if it's made from cannabis made within the last 3 months. If your hash is imported you don't need to decarb or if you're using dry, imported reefer to make your hash or kief. Otherwise, you should do so. To do that you want your hash as broken up and powdery as possible, not pressed. Sifted kief is perfect for this. For pressed hash, you can give it a little heat and it will break up. Place your hash/kief in a small pyrex or ceramic dish.
151 kief1.jpg
151 kief1.jpg (53.42 KiB) Viewed 27930 times

Preheat your oven to 220°F. Cover your dish with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes depending on the hash. If you had a problem getting your hash to loosen up, you should be able to break it up after 10 minutes in the oven. Just remove the foil and smash your hash, then place back in the oven quickly and add a little extra time. If you've made dry ice hash, it has been partially decarbed by the extreme cold of the dry ice but still needs to be fully decarbed but a little less time would be required.

Items needed

1-3 grams of hash/kief
1 fluid ounce of 151 proof alcohol
freezer
1 small jar with tightly sealing lid
1 paper filter
small screen strainer

Step 1

1) Place your loosened kief/hash in a small jar with a tightly sealed lid and place it in the freezer for 24 hours. Place your alcohol separately in the freezer, also.
2) After 24 hours, add the freezing cold alcohol to the cold hash/kief.
151 kief2.jpg
151 kief2.jpg (87.48 KiB) Viewed 27930 times
3) Shake vigorously for 15 minutes and let settle.
151 kief3.jpg
151 kief3.jpg (87.23 KiB) Viewed 27930 times
At this point your tincture can be used, but I recommend putting it back in the freezer for another 24 hours before filtering.

I'm going to show you a couple of tips for filtering your Dragon without losing half of it to the filter absorption. If you have only an ounce of tincture you can't afford to waste it.
151 filter1.jpg
151 filter1.jpg (97.39 KiB) Viewed 27930 times
In the photo you see that I am using a small wire mesh strainer and a coffee filter that I cut down to fit the strainer so that there'd be no excess filter to absorb the solution. You'll also notice a shot glass with a small amount of liquor in it.

A) Dip the paper coffee filter into the shot glass of 151 until it is completely soaked, squeeze out the excess and place it in the strainer.
151 filter2.jpg
151 filter2.jpg (54.69 KiB) Viewed 27930 times
B) Pour your 151 Dragon through the filter and let it drain. You can see how the wet filter has prevented the tincture to be absorbed beyond the fill line like you'd ordinarily see with a dry filter and the larger that filter, the more of your precious solution is going to be lost. With a dry filter you would have seen the dark green of the Dragon just roll up the filter. Here there is very little. This is a very important point for small quantities. The small filter and pre-wetting are key to your overall Dragon experience because the added efficiency of this process is one of it's draws, but if you lose half of it, what good is that?
151 filter3.jpg
151 filter3.jpg (52.35 KiB) Viewed 27930 times
And here we have the final product. You can see how much it darkened since the initial shake. You would be able to use it and feel it then but I feel that the extra time, at least the extra few hours, made some difference.
151 filter4.jpg
151 filter4.jpg (51.89 KiB) Viewed 27930 times
Enjoy! Image
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: 151 Kief/Hash Green Dragon

Post by GrowTutor »

How many doses did that make? No reducing by half? ;)
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

I can't wait to have some more material to play with!!!! It is getting close...I hope...
"Fill it, Light it, Shut-up & Close the door!"
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

GrowTutor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:17 pm wrote:How many doses did that make? No reducing by half? ;)
No reduction with this one. With the 1.2g:1floz ratio a good dose for my tolerance (high) was 10 drops, for heavy pain used 15 but that really loaded me down. That will go down with a little more hash. Of course, this is just some trim that I made simple hash from. With a higher quality hash/kief the dosage will improve or with 190 proof alcohol but considering that your alcohol with 151 is 25% water, 1/4ml is a darn good hit. :mrgreen:
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

Happyweedz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:28 pm wrote:I can't wait to have some more material to play with!!!! It is getting close...I hope...
I'll have a lot more guides posted by that time, Happy, then you'll have a wide variety to choose from. As a tease, I just made some excellent infused ice cream that's worth eating. After we get the basics down here, I can start adding more complex recipes. Like Chocolate Fudge Caramel Trail Bars. ;)
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

Yea, I saw the ice cream....looked & sounded great!!

It's all a tease when you don't have the materials...lol
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Now I want ice cream... :(
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

GrowTutor » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:51 pm wrote:Now I want ice cream... :(
Here ya go....
SUNP0013.JPG
SUNP0013.JPG (58.09 KiB) Viewed 27907 times
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Tease... :P

I'm going to have to walk to the store but now I can't decide what I want. Maybe an ice cream sammich or a shake.
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

Doncha wish you could walk to Sam's store?? :lol:

Might need a ride back home...