Martini Shaker Dry Ice Hash

GrowTutor members & staff share their knowledge of cannabis concentrates & extractions.
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Martini Shaker Dry Ice Hash

Post by PsychedelicSam »

This is a guide showing how to make a small amount of hash in your kitchen (or anywhere else) in a short time. This is a perfect method if you have a small grow or access to fan leaf or trim or you just want to make a small amount. A lot of people think that it can be a project that couldn't possibly be done in their kitchen in little more than fifteen minutes or maybe they think you have to have top trim or bud, although you can use that if you have it. Whatever the reason, I decided to put a tutorial in here to show how easy it is for the everyday Joe/Jane.

I'm using these fan leaves I have from Blue Widow and OG Kush, about 7g each and got a return of about 2 grams. That may not seem a lot but remember that it's fan leaves. Not as much as the good stuff would give you but it's decent and the buzz is excellent. It really only takes a couple of hits to get a buzz. I was actually surprised but it is the same trichomes as the bud and it has the same effects.

Anyway, here's how easy it is to have some hash for smoking, tinctures and edibles.

These are the things you need to do this at your kitchen table.
Martini shaker-metal
110 mesh screen (I use silkscreen). Cut a square big enough to fit over the top of the shaker with enough left to secure it.
Glass dish or plate
Leather Gloves
Half ounce (up to you) of marijuana, whether fan leaves, trim or buds, grinding not necessary
Rubber band to hold the screen onto the shaker
1 lb dry ice
Half ounce of fan leaves.
SUNP0002.JPG
SUNP0002.JPG (110.93 KiB) Viewed 10319 times
Break the dry ice into pieces. Always use thick gloves to handle the ice. Cloth will stick to it. After adding a few pieces of dry ice into the shaker, load it with pot.
SUNP0003.JPG
SUNP0003.JPG (110.53 KiB) Viewed 10319 times
SUNP0004.JPG
SUNP0004.JPG (98.28 KiB) Viewed 10319 times
SUNP0007.JPG
SUNP0007.JPG (112.46 KiB) Viewed 10319 times
After filling the shaker with dry ice and marijuana, place the screen over the opening and secure it with a rubber band or a wire/plastic tie low enough that the top will fit over it. It will be very tight.
SUNP0008.JPG
SUNP0008.JPG (103.62 KiB) Viewed 10319 times
SUNP0009.JPG
SUNP0009.JPG (102.95 KiB) Viewed 10319 times
After placing the top on the shaker, shake it upright for a couple of minutes. Then turn it over and shake it over the glass dish. Remember to use thick gloves so that your hands don't get frostbitten. The outside will be coated with ice.
SUNP0010.JPG
SUNP0010.JPG (99.27 KiB) Viewed 10319 times
I like to keep the lid on for the first couple of minutes after I've turned it upside down. The early shake is the cleanest, with there being more plant material present with the continued shaking. The trics cake to the lid and the hash is more golden than later. I scrape it out easily and keep it separate from the rest. I don't know if it is better, but the taste and color are.
SUNP0012.JPG
SUNP0012.JPG (98.4 KiB) Viewed 10319 times
You shake it over the glass dish with the lid off to collect the hash. You may need to hold on to the screen when shaking up and down so that it doesn't fall off and get waste plant material in it. Then just scrape it up with a card. I got a couple of grams from the dish and about a half gram from the lid. You can see that it's a lighter color. If you have a little herb press, you can press it into a pellet but otherwise it is fluffy and more like kief.
SUNP0011.JPG
SUNP0011.JPG (104.37 KiB) Viewed 10319 times
SisterMaryElephant
GrowTutor Site Admin

Re: Martini Shaker Dry Ice Hash

Post by SisterMaryElephant »

Yeah, some people use 5 gallon buckets and other things too. I don't even own a martini shaker. ;)

A finer screen might help with some of the green that gets through but you'll probably get some with any kind of extraction that requires shredding/shaking. It's common for the first part of the run to be cleaner too.

Here's a commercial unit I'm thinking about buying that will process more material and it has different screen size options:
The Agricultural Pollen Extractor 2.0

I wonder how much of this you'd have to collect to make a batch of RSO/GD... ;)
I also run a medical grow consulting business in SoCal.
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

SisterMaryElephant » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:27 pm wrote:Yeah, some people use 5 gallon buckets and other things too. I don't even own a martini shaker. ;)

A finer screen might help with some of the green that gets through but you'll probably get some with any kind of extraction that requires shredding/shaking. It's common for the first part of the run to be cleaner too.

Here's a commercial unit I'm thinking about buying that will process more material and it has different screen size options:
The Agricultural Pollen Extractor 2.0

I wonder how much of this you'd have to collect to make a batch of RSO/GD... ;)
I didn't own a shaker, either, until I saw a video. I don't care a lot for hash unless it's some Nepalese Gold Seal or Black Primo, just call me old fashioned, but occasionally it's nice to have some around. I've done the bigger bucket, too, but most people I know don't have enough material for much more than a shaker at a time. It's easy and can be done at the kitchen table and doesn't require expensive bubble bags.

110 micron mesh is a medium size screen that will provide a decent yield, one of 5 screens in a bubble bag, and since this is being done on a disability income, it's what works. As disabled as I am, and many of the people for which this is designed, something that I would have to shake harder or was bigger wouldn't be an option. You'll find that all of my guides are designed with folks like me in mind. That may not give them a nice shiny professional aspect but it does make them attainable for the people in the most need.

Sometime this weekend I'm going to post a GD guide for this hash. It's very simple and is actually the best way to make a potent tincture with 151 or even lower alcohol volume. I know a caregiver here that has one of those machines and he uses the hash for edibles for his patients. He uses his sugar trim, though, and gets a lot more than simple fan leaf like I've used here. :)
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Yeah, I've had some good hash back in the day but IF I start dry ice extracting it would be for oils/edibles/etc not to smoke as much.

The APE is designed to process much more material and it has a motor but it also has a huge price tag. I like the martini shaker idea though, I might have to buy one just for that.

I wonder what the hash to flower/trim ratio is? If making say, a 1oz flower/trim batch of GD, how much hash would be the equivalent potency? I think it would be a more pure GD/RSO but you'd sure need a lot more yield to get the same out compared to using whole plant matter, even including the flowers. I suppose you could post process the plant matter after dry ice extraction to use in a weaker batch of GD or something but you'd probably need to reuse the everclear through more material to get the potency up.