Infused Honey Elixir - Dragon Style

GrowTutor members and staff share recipes for yummy cannabis edibles.
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Re: Infused Honey Elixir - Dragon Style

Post by PsychedelicSam »

GrowTutor » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:02 pm wrote:Odd, RS says to eat the RSO raw and he says it cures everything except stupid. Sounds like it's being absorbed if it's curing stuff. What kind of things would you use RSO instead of GD?

How does that honey taste once reduced? I'm sure that it's still sweet but is it actually good or does it taste like weird/off honey that's good enough to get down? Know what I mean? ;)
That gives you an idea of how strong the stuff is. The straight oil isn't very bioavailable in that form and needs a carrier to help it attain more absorption. Sublingual or rubbed on the gums is different and is the best way to use the RSO if using it straight. I really only use the RSO for major medical issues that require very high dosages. I use 3-4 drops of pure oil in a capsule filled with agave or I'll make some infused coconut oil caps of the same dosage. I'll also use it if I'm making lollipops or other candies where high concentration in a small amount is needed, but those candies are meant for severe pain. None of the things for which I use the RSO are recreational, only heavy medication on par with opiates.

I use the GD products like this honey and the previous butter guide and the other things I make from it as my recreational wares. They can be medically heavy as well if desired but the GD gives me a better control of variables. If you've got a lot of material and making a bunch of oil isn't a financial strain, then by all means use it where you want but the GD is a much more economical way to make large batch edibles.

The honey still tastes like honey but it does have a "bite". It's not unpleasant but you know there's more than honey there. Some sensitive taste buds might like an orange or vanilla or raspberry flavoring added to it but I like the flavor. Tastes a bit like the flowers if buds were used. It's not hard to get down at all. It's really good, honest. ;)
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

I'd like to run through a 3-6 month cycle of RSO (both orally and topically) and see how I feel before/after. I don't have anything, that I know of, to cure except a chronic dry skin condition (and stupid) but I could spare a couple of pounds for the experiment once I get back growing. If it cures something, great, if not I'm only out 2 pounds. I can grow more. ;)

It'd probably store for many years in honey too, if stored cool/dry/dark. It's really too bad we can't extract "the good stuff" and not the flavors so butter tastes like butter and honey tastes like honey. That's my biggest problem with many edibles, they taste "ok" but definitely off. Maybe butane or hexane extraction? Some other solvent or method? There HAS to be a way... ;)
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

GrowTutor » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:22 pm wrote:I'd like to run through a 3-6 month cycle of RSO (both orally and topically) and see how I feel before/after. I don't have anything, that I know of, to cure except a chronic dry skin condition (and stupid) but I could spare a couple of pounds for the experiment once I get back growing. If it cures something, great, if not I'm only out 2 pounds. I can grow more. ;)

It'd probably store for many years in honey too, if stored cool/dry/dark. It's really too bad we can't extract "the good stuff" and not the flavors so butter tastes like butter and honey tastes like honey. That's my biggest problem with many edibles, they taste "ok" but definitely off. Maybe butane or hexane extraction? Some other solvent or method? There HAS to be a way... ;)
I use the RSO as a supplement and it has made a big difference in how I feel, but the big problem with it is that it raises your tolerance quickly and it's hard to get any recreational effects from other cannabis. Smoking/vaping doesn't work as well and neither do the other products and that's why I like to limit the RSO consumption to night usage so that I can still get psychoactive effects from the honey and other things the rest of the time and those things also have their medical uses, too. And since this is the honey thread and not the RSO one, I prefer to keep the discussion mainly focused on that.

However, whether you make the honey with GD or with an oil, it should be made as needed and not stored as the honey elixir in a larger quantity. Honey will eventually crystalize and become harder to manage. I usually only make as much as I plan on using within a few months. I recently made 4 ounces of it to use as gifts and in my upcoming ice cream recipe. Using the GD transfer does not leave any taste. The "bite" is from the ethanol which also gives it a distinctive aroma as well as the thc but it doesn't taste like that godawful wet hay taste that comes from direct heated extraction. Butter made from the GD actually tastes like butter even if it is green or gold. Coconut oil smells and tastes like coconuts even though it may be a dark green or gold. And the edibles you made from them have no detectable cannabis (chlorophyll) taste. They are excellent and I get high praise for it. RSO in butter or oil or anything else tastes distinctly like hash and that is good for lollipops or hard candies.

I don't know what's so distinctive about RSO. It just seems to me to be dirty BHO shatter or wax if made with chemicals. Even ETOH shatter and wax are cleaner. :)
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

I'm mainly intrigued with RSO for the healing claims, certainly not the taste but tastes can be changed with different solvents and methods, I'd assume. You're right though, this is a honey thread so I'll try to keep on topic. We need a general extract topic to just brainstorm in... ;)

Yes, honey can crystalize but it can be fixed with a warm water bath. Honey is one of the few food items that never spoils.

Right the GD bite, in the honey, could be from the solvent but it's also green so there is chlorophyll too. How do we either remove the chlorophyll from the extract (before reduction) or not extract the chlorophyll with the "good stuff" and will THAT make the GD taste better? I know some solvents take or leave more of the chlorophyll but I can't say what those solvents will do for the taste. Additionally, for reductions that are not complete, like GD, you have to be more careful exactly what solvents you use. With RSO and other "full" reductions, like your honey, there should be no more solvent left after reduction so you have a few more choices.
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

GrowTutor » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:24 am wrote:I'm mainly intrigued with RSO for the healing claims, certainly not the taste but tastes can be changed with different solvents and methods, I'd assume. You're right though, this is a honey thread so I'll try to keep on topic. We need a general extract topic to just brainstorm in... ;)

Yes, honey can crystalize but it can be fixed with a warm water bath. Honey is one of the few food items that never spoils.

Right the GD bite, in the honey, could be from the solvent but it's also green so there is chlorophyll too. How do we either remove the chlorophyll from the extract (before reduction) or not extract the chlorophyll with the "good stuff" and will THAT make the GD taste better? I know some solvents take or leave more of the chlorophyll but I can't say what those solvents will do for the taste. Additionally, for reductions that are not complete, like GD, you have to be more careful exactly what solvents you use. With RSO and other "full" reductions, like your honey, there should be no more solvent left after reduction so you have a few more choices.
The original recipe I used for the honey made about a cup and a half and I reduced the ratios for smaller batches but it could be stored for a while, 3 months that I know of in my experience without any deterioration of the THC. The bite from the honey is not chlorophyll, at least not from my method of GD. The freezing inhibits the extraction of polar compounds and its a fairly short wash compared to many other methods. I also will "winterize" my GD after it's reduced in order to remove the leftover plant waxes and oils. My GD leaves no chlorophyll taste, just the taste of the bud if concentrated enough, and sometimes that flavor transfers to the product but that is a taste of hashish usually, nothing unpleasant. The bite is only present with the honey. Agave nectar doesn't have it. Don't know why. The honey loses it after a while and it's not unpleasant. There is no aftertaste whether used sublingually or in a recipe.

Yeah, with GD you have to be very careful. Ethanol is about the only thing that is safe. With an oil or hash any poisonous residues are fully purged (hopefully) but would be poisonous to a human ingested as a tincture. I would be concerned about using iso for a transfer like this because of what's left behind in the product as it evaporates. :)
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

I swear, I have too good of an imagination, I'm just going to have to make a few batches of different things so I'll know for myself how they taste instead of guessing. Taste is subjective. ;)
40Yearsmoker
GrowTutor Prospect

Post by 40Yearsmoker »

I have noticed alittle bite to the honey, but nothing that I would call wierd or off.
I like to add orange or cinnamon flavor to mine from time to time just to change it up.
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

Can't wait to try this, I'll start the process tomorrow.

I wonder where I could find amber bottles and pipettes or droppers? Pharmacy?

It will be fantastic to experiment with edibles and the GD... the method of using butter ruined every recipes I ever tried.
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

FCG-Frank » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:49 pm wrote:Can't wait to try this, I'll start the process tomorrow.

I wonder where I could find amber bottles and pipettes or droppers? Pharmacy?

It will be fantastic to experiment with edibles and the GD... the method of using butter ruined every recipes I ever tried.
Health food store for the bottles and droppers just about anywhere. :)
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

What is your personal preference between using honey or agave nectar?

Where I am from we have a lot of bee honey producers so it's readily available everywhere, agave nectar is mostly imported stuff.

If possible I prefer to support local producers, but not if agave is a superior option. Though if it comes down to taste only, honey it'll be.