RSO Extraction

GrowTutor members & staff share their knowledge of cannabis concentrates & extractions.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

RSO Extraction

Post by GrowTutor »

Yeah, my extract limit was cannabutter or the old school flame/bowl extraction method but I've been checking out other green dragon and RSO recipes and I found an RSO recipe that's very close to your GD method with less shake-n-wait times and full reduction. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sGWxz0DMSI

RSO may very well work wonders on cancer but it's not the cure-all that RS was claiming. Not that I wouldn't give it a shot either...

Yeah I had a lumbar fusion (L5-S1), laminectomy and discectomy a week ago. Everything is an effort at this point but I'm getting there. Right now I have two speeds: "slow" and "am I moving yet?" :D
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: RSO Extraction

Post by GrowTutor »

What if you could double your yield (extraction yield/double potency) what would you spend? I'm not saying that there aren't free/cheap improvements, I'm saying that there are ways to really get excellent results but it might require buying some stuff and putting it together yourself. I'm sure Mr.H will cover the stuff that's cheap and easy, first, and then probably offer solutions for taking it up a notch up or two... :D

According to RS, 1 oz flowers+trim will yield about 3-4 grams of RSO. What if spending 500 bucks (less than an LED light) and you could get 6, consistently, quicker, cleaner, etc? Math wise, it makes sense to me given that's less than the retail on 2-oz flowers at the dispensaries. I don't know what he's going to share but if I get into the extraction thing much, I know I'll want to maximize quality and yield and I'm willing to spend some to do it. I'm not willing to go BreakingBad and making it in the 1000 gallon vat under a laundry or such but I'd go 500, maybe a grand (or more) if the "bang for the buck" was there and I wont catch on fire or reach orbit. :lol:
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

Yeah, my extract limit was cannabutter or the old school flame/bowl extraction method but I've been checking out other green dragon and RSO recipes and I found an RSO recipe that's very close to your GD method with less shake-n-wait times and full reduction. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sGWxz0DMSI

RSO may very well work wonders on cancer but it's not the cure-all that RS was claiming. Not that I wouldn't give it a shot either...

Yeah I had a lumbar fusion (L5-S1), laminectomy and discectomy a week ago. Everything is an effort at this point but I'm getting there. Right now I have two speeds: "slow" and "am I moving yet?" :D
That video is one that I use for reference and refer to others for a visual. Most RSO-type guides are pretty similar and small batch is different than large but the principles are the same. RSO is a bigger healer than you think. I don't have a major cancer or anything much other that spinal issues but since I have started using the cannabis oil in larger doses I have been able to stop opiates and the inflammation from all my spinal and skeletal issues has disappeared. I can walk again and I feel great. I had the same procedure you did except on steroids. Mine is from L1-S1 with rods (hardware, they call it) and down around the tailbone. I was beginning to think that I would never walk well or any ease of pain. That was 3 months ago and now I feel like dancing. My surgery was a year and a half ago. ;)
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Yeah, now I'm starting to get into it more and I'm already thinking about various prep and solvent options. I imagine raw RSO tastes pretty nasty, like bong water. :shock:

I have no doubts that it's medicine, I fought for our first mmj law here back in the 90s but RS claimed it'd cure "anything and everything" and that just can't be. I have to be realistic too. Yep, sounds like we have the same hardware, you just have more of it. That might be one reason your pain was long, it takes time to fuse that much area. Either way, relief is a good thing and I'm not trying to talk anyone out of their meds. Even if it doesn't cure everything, if it helps, it helps...
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

Sam,
What about starting an oil thread here?

I am interested in learning about it...and how it compares to tinc. Like why is the extraction method shorter if using the same solvent & same material?

This is what people "dab"?
"Fill it, Light it, Shut-up & Close the door!"
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

Yea!!... As you may know, I have been playing/learning about Green Dragon tincture as a concentrate as well as edibles.

Please forgive any ignorant questions but this is a new avenue for me...

From what I have read and the vids I have seen, if GD is a concentrate, RSO is the Mother of concentrates??

I watched the vid & they used Everclear as their solvent...much like the extraction for GD, only much quicker wash. WHY? When making RSO, what is being left behind that is extracted in the GD with a longer wash/soak?

Why the differences in the extraction process? Do you decarb when making RSO? And would I still get RSO if I reduced the GD down to an oil?

Just explorin!

Happy
"Fill it, Light it, Shut-up & Close the door!"
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Happyweedz » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:36 pm wrote:Sam,
What about starting an oil thread here?

I am interested in learning about it...and how it compares to tinc. Like why is the extraction method shorter if using the same solvent & same material?

This is what people "dab"?
Done, I split-off the RSO parts so we won't be hijacking your GD topic. ;)

I watched it and wondered how much they lose with that method. I'm already thinking about a new (to me at least) extraction using multiple solvents and little to no heat. I'll have to run it by Mr. H to see if I'm a mad genius or just over-medicated again. :lol:

I think "dabbing" started with opium and later hash but I suppose one could dab RSO too.

Yeah, completely reduced, stronger but not pure.

Like I said above, I think they're leaving a lot to be extracted. Even the GD method may not be ideal but we'll have to wait for Mr. H to chime in there. They didn't seem to "decarb" in the video but that may or may not help. I really don't *know* if you'd get RSO but, since they are so similar, I would assume yes.
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

I'll do it over the weekend. I was going to make it a separate thread anyway since it's a different product. There are edibles that I make from the tincture and those I planned on placing in the edibles section with it linked back to the concentrate base product. That will give you a little more for searchers to find and believe me, these recipes are unique and not widely known but are being accepted quite well. Happy likes 'em. Hopefully, new searchers will too. :)

You can dab it, Happy, but because it has more chlorophyll it's not a clean hit. Dabbing is normally done with "shatter/wax" types of oils meant specifically for smoking and those are a faster extraction in alcohol. I have an ethanol based "shatter" that I'll eventually get around to posting.
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

Ethanol Cannabis Oil - RSO Style - Small Batch....Part One

I divided 2 ounces of trim into 3 jars of 20g each instead of just one jar. It was finely ground before I got it so as finely ground as it was, it would have been really hard to strain the whole amount at once and get a good recovery. The real reason I did that, though, is because I wanted to use the same alcohol to wash all three jars, thus increasing the potency each time instead of using a ton of very expensive Everclear just to evaporate it all off. I started with 12oz of alcohol in the first jar. Here are the steps:

The alcohol and cannabis portions are placed separately in the freezer for a minimum of 24 hours.

Place everything that is going to touch your alcohol-cannabis mixture in the freezer as well, including glass measuring cups, clean mason jars, filters and strainers and utensils. This is to reduce plant waxes and oils. Only take them out of the freezer as needed.

When ready to begin, have your first strainer, first jar of pot, cold glass measuring cup and alcohol in easy reach because the alcohol is only staying in the jar 30 seconds before draining.

Pour the amount of alcohol you're going to use for your first run (there are 2) into the cold measuring cup and then place the bottle back in the freezer. Pour this amount, while very cold, into your first jar of pot and shake lightly for 30 seconds.

Immediately strain your jar, leaving the cannabis inside. This could be 4-5 minutes if it's as fine as mine. I use a piece of silkscreen screwed over the top with just the lid ring.

After removing as much of the alcohol as possible without pressing, place the lid back on the jar and place it back in the freezer. Place the glass measuring cup with the first alcohol back in the freezer without filtering for a half hour. During that time clean your area and essential equipment in preparation for the next jar.

After 30 minutes, remove the second fresh jar of cannabis from the freezer as well as the saved alcohol in the cup. Repeat the last 3 steps above for each remaining jar. Be sure to place your jars and alcohol back in the freezer after each step. This picture shows me doing my 3rd jar. At this point after the first 2 jars, my 12oz of alcohol is down to 8oz before this step. Remember 30 seconds between the alcohol going in the jar and starting to come out.
Cannabis Oil b.JPG
Cannabis Oil b.JPG (223.41 KiB) Viewed 21257 times
Filter your extraction from the last jar. There isn't a need to filter the alcohol from each jar separately as long as most of the plant material was strained. After my 3rd jar I had a total of 4oz of extremely dark and thick solution out of the original 12oz I began with.
Cannabis Oil c.JPG
Cannabis Oil c.JPG (217.12 KiB) Viewed 21257 times
Hemp Oil f.JPG
Hemp Oil f.JPG (221.26 KiB) Viewed 21257 times
Place the filtered extraction from the first run in a jar in the freezer to start a bit of winterization.

This is the end of part one. The next post will cover the second run and actual making of the oil. :P
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

Ethanol Cannabis Oil - RSO Style - Small Batch....Part Two

Now we're going to do the second wash on the same 3 jars of 20g each, except this time we use fresh alcohol and start at step 3 of the previous post. You will do everything the same except you'll be straining the plant material and pressing minimally after each jar, using the same alcohol for each run. For the second run I used the same amount of alcohol, 12oz but recovered all of it. These are the differences in runs:

After finishing each jar, strain and press the cannabis - not too much - and set the material aside to be discarded later. Clean and reset your equipment after each jar before taking the next one out of the freezer. This is my second wash and you can see that I have a lot more than 4 ozs this time:
Cannabis Oil h.JPG
Cannabis Oil h.JPG (58.91 KiB) Viewed 21252 times

After filtering your second run, place it back in the freezer with the first one for 24-48 hours to precipitate out the plant waxes and oils. Filter again while cold at the end of that time.

After you've winterized and refiltered your extraction, it's time to make the oil. This is very time consuming process. First you will reduce your extraction at a goodly rate until you see the oil start caking on the side of your reducer. Slow the rate down at that time so that you can keep that ring of oil dissolved in the liquid so that it doesn't overheat and degrade.

Sometime around this time you want to transfer your extract into a small pyrex dish that fits on the pad of a coffee warmer. Turn the warmer on and wait. My dish is a 4oz size and it took forever for it to reduce in half. You won't see any action of the alcohol until it gets low enough that the heat in the dish rises. While it's reducing you can get it to evaporate faster by taking an eyedropper and stirring the alcohol around. At the end of the process all the bubbles will be gone and it will appear to be a very reflective black tar. When it's smoothed out, take it off the warmer and let it cool a little before drawing the oil into your syringes or vials. For buds, the yield is about 3.5g of oil per ounce of cannabis. My trim from last year yielded about 4.5g for 2oz.

Here's a video showing in greater detail the reduction of the alcohol and the emergence of your cannabis oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqHwHA3rbLw

I don't seem to be able to embed the video so just click the link. :)

Here's the way I package it now. I put most of it in 1g increments in vials for better ease of use. I put some in a syringe for topical use and then I put 2 drops each in a few caps and filled with agave nectar.
Cannabis oil2b.jpg
Cannabis oil2b.jpg (65.2 KiB) Viewed 21252 times