Green Dragon Extraction

GrowTutor members & staff share their knowledge of cannabis concentrates & extractions.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: Green Dragon Extraction

Post by GrowTutor »

Ouch! I've heard you could go blind or grow hair on your palm but I had no idea you could tear a tendon. ;)

Hope you feel better soon...
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

FCG-Frank » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:21 pm wrote:Is investing in a press a good idea if I plan to be making a lot of this?

There's a language disconnect too here. I had never used the term double boiler before, we actually call it a bain-marie here, so had to Google that.

I have no idea where I'd go to buy one or how much it costs. What's the exact purpose of the press, what does it achieve?
I would not recommend the juicer. If you plan on making a bit of this you might want to check this out, http://curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=1865771, otherwise a simple gadget that will let the alcohol through and not all the plant material is fine. I don't really recommend a smaller press for more than a couple of ounces of plant matter because even at that volume the material should be pressed in smaller increments for best recovery. I've done up to 3 ounces at once and it gets to be a chore and a mess trying to split it up. There are nice herbal presses similar to the DIY I posted that aren't too expensive.

What I mean by a double boiler is any method by which you heat something from indirect heat from boiling water, whether it's a true bain-marie or a steel bowl on top of a saucepan or a jar sitting in a water bath. "Double boiler" here is meant as general implement. Put a stainless steel bowl over the opening of a saucepan of boiling water and put your GD in the stainless steel bowl for indirect evaporation. Lots of ventilation and no open flames. ;)
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Nice press! :D

There COULD still be open flames if you use an open flame to boil the water. Cherry hot electric burners can be too hot too. Care and, especially, ventilation is a good idea... ;)
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

You can make honey and agave nectar elixirs for oral application or for use in recipes.
Could you share this recipe?

I am going to the US on vacation next week, the first vacation in three years. My ulcerative colitis is flaring and I am very concerned about leaving home without some cannabinoids with me, and I can't exactly take a vape and some herbs across the border. If I could make something inconspicuous and easy to ingest for travel, it would be fantastic.

I was going to make a batch of green dragon and put it in a small mouth wash bottle and use it as a tincture, but honey and agave sounds much tastier :D
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

Hi, Frank. Let me apologize in advance for a short reply but I recently had surgery on my dominant arm and can't navigate the keyboard very proficiently.

These are both perfect for travel and are undectable and potent. I would recommend the agave nectar if you're using a dropper bottle for ease of dispensing because the honey gets thick and also I have found the agave nectar to be the best carrier for rapid and fast absorption, called bioavailability, even more than honey and coconut oil. These are in the Cooking with Cannabis section. :)

Green Dragon Extraction

Infused Agave Nectar Elixir- Dragon Style
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

Thanks for sharing! I hope you feel better soon.

I've begun the process, very excited to try this out. This should come in handy on my red eye (pun intended). Why upgrade to business class for comfortable seats when you can sleep in a coma in coach? :D

Assuming sublingual administration and an agave mixture, how quickly should I expect effects? And Since I've been vaping about 2g a day for over a year and a half, I have quite the tolerance. Do you still recommend 2ml per dose?

I am dreading the 15min shake part... I really wish I had a sonicator for this. I've used them plenty of times in the lab before, but I have no idea how much they cost. Surely there is no better tool for this.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

I think he said up to 1ml/dose but I could be wrong. ;)

There are smaller cheaper sonicators and you can even use the larger jewelry type too. ;)
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

GrowTutor » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:36 am wrote:I think he said up to 1ml/dose but I could be wrong. ;)

There are smaller cheaper sonicators and you can even use the larger jewelry type too. ;)
I re-read the posts and indeed he said 5ml would put us on our butts for a while... it depends of the potency of the GD ofc and I'm on a tight schedule and it'll be my first time, so I doubt I'll have the best potency.

But 150ml for 5 days should be enough even if I have the worse potency. :mrgreen:
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Potency probably depends more on the material processed than actual hands on experience. ;)
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

I won't have time to do the full 24 hours soak each time, so my extraction won't be as good.

Finding 190 proof alcohol turned out more difficult and Im leaving in two days.