Green Dragon Extraction

GrowTutor members & staff share their knowledge of cannabis concentrates & extractions.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: Green Dragon Extraction

Post by GrowTutor »

They do have medical mj laws there but probably not for visitors; your extract will have to do. :weedyum:
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

I look forward to trying it. It would never have occurred to extract into alcohol.

How does one use the GD when cooking? Say I make a batch of my killer red velvet cupcakes, do I just add a few drops to each cupcake batter hole before they cook? I'm looking forward making edibles that won't taste like hay.
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

FCG-Frank » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:06 pm wrote:How many passes does it usually take to extract everything? You suggest two, Heisenberg said three... I suppose four is overkill?

As for the elusive amber bottles and droppers, I couldn't find empty ones, but these were on sale 4$ a pop. 30mL flasks and the dropper is included, I thought I'd simply dump the content and replace it with my elixir. The label will make it look even more inconspicuous :clap:

This 1.14L bottle cost me 64$. Alcohol is so expensive here, I miss my days in Germany.
Like GT said, it gets to a point of very diminishing returns after the 2nd run. The third only has enough to make worth the effort when combined with leftovers from other batches using a smaller volume of alcohol and then reusing it with each additional set of leftovers, what I call a depletion batch. After that one, the reefer will be fully depleted and there is a way to see for yourself. After the 2nd run, dry out a little of the wet pot and smoke it. You should get a little buzz but not too much. Do the same after the 3rd run and will taste like dry hay with no effect.

I keep my old batches in the freezer in their jars and after a few I do a depletion batch. They'll carry more chlorophyll and be a deeper green but will still make potent and good edibles and topicals. I have several ounces of leftovers now and plan on going through this process next week, so I'll take some pictures to show you how I do it. :)
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

FCG-Frank » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:16 pm wrote:I look forward to trying it. It would never have occurred to extract into alcohol.

How does one use the GD when cooking? Say I make a batch of my killer red velvet cupcakes, do I just add a few drops to each cupcake batter hole before they cook? I'm looking forward making edibles that won't taste like hay.
The best way is to do a solvent transfer into butter or oil just like you're doing for the agave and then use it in your recipe or box mix, but the way you describe is a "ghetto" version where you stir the number of doses of GD directly into your batter and pour. The small amount of alcohol will evaporate and leave the cannabinoids behind. I suggest an electric oven. This works in recipes that use sugary carbohydrates or oils/butter because they will act as carriers after the alcohol is gone.

The butter/oil guides are in the cooking with cannabis forum. At least I think they are. :nod:
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

Cannabinoids being liposolube it never occured to me to extract them in ethanol.

However I've used the butter extraction method many many times to cook all sorts of things, and coconut oil once to make capsules. Since it's solid at room temperature, it makes the process easier.

The biggest downside is the shitty taste. I do not smoke, I can't even roll, I vape exclusively and through a bubbler on top. I've never liked the overshadowing hay flavor of burning pot. I prefer the subtle aromas of vapor. I hated how cannabutter ruined the taste of every single recipe.

I always wondered how one could extract only the cannabinoids and leave all the oils, terpenes, chlorophyll behind, and this GD extraction is a step in the right direction.

I've read clinical trials in which patients were administered X mg of THC/CBD/... either intravenously or orally. How complicated would it be to completely separate the cannabinoids from everything else? Is it a matter of enough filtration, or are we talking dry ice and centrifugal spinning for separation on top?
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

FCG-Frank » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:36 pm wrote:Cannabinoids being liposolube it never occured to me to extract them in ethanol.

However I've used the butter extraction method many many times to cook all sorts of things, and coconut oil once to make capsules. Since it's solid at room temperature, it makes the process easier.

The biggest downside is the shitty taste. I do not smoke, I can't even roll, I vape exclusively and through a bubbler on top. I've never liked the overshadowing hay flavor of burning pot. I prefer the subtle aromas of vapor. I hated how cannabutter ruined the taste of every single recipe.

I always wondered how one could extract only the cannabinoids and leave all the oils, terpenes, chlorophyll behind, and this GD extraction is a step in the right direction.

I've read clinical trials in which patients were administered X mg of THC/CBD/... either intravenously or orally. How complicated would it be to completely separate the cannabinoids from everything else? Is it a matter of enough filtration, or are we talking dry ice and centrifugal spinning for separation on top?
The reason your butter/oil tasted like it did is because of the direct extraction from the cannabis. By making your butter/oil with a solvent transfer from the GD you remove the source of that hay taste. The light will go off in your head when you experience Dragon Style edibles. :idea:

It should be simple to extract with the right equipment but that's beyond my purview.
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

Indeed good sir you have opened my mind to endless possibilities.

Truffles.
Lolipops.
Gummy bears.
An oil based salad dressing that medicates you!

There's no end! I'll never stop now .
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

First pass complete!

PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

Sample about half a milliliter so you can get an idea of the potency after it's final reduction. Be sure to sample a few drops of the final for testing because you won't be able to concentrate it after you make the agave. The second run will be greener but the final color should be the same shade as the first but a deeper tone. It looks good. :)
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

By sample you mean ingest? I thought cannabinoids without a proper carrier didn't work so well?