Green Dragon Extraction

GrowTutor members & staff share their knowledge of cannabis concentrates & extractions.
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Green Dragon Extraction

Post by Happyweedz »

Rky,

I have been messing with/learning about Green Dragon. Once you get it right, it makes dosing edibles easy!!

With the Green Dragon you can easily transfer to oil, butter, honey....all kinds of different carriers!

And you can make the Dragon with your hash or trim....

The only issue I have is how much Everclear I go through!! Part of making Green Dragon is reducing it to reach the right potency. I would like to find some chemist/science guy to help me put together a system to safely condense & re-use the alcohol vapors from the reduction process....but that would be another topic...

Happy! 8-)
"Fill it, Light it, Shut-up & Close the door!"
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: Green Dragon Extraction

Post by GrowTutor »

OK I've added a Concentrates & Extractions sections for your greendragon topic. ;)

I also asked a friend of mine to chime in about the chemistry and science part.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

You might want to describe how you're going about making it too. I looked on the web and there are a dozen people all with different recipes. ;)
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

The method I am using is not my own, it was taught to me by an online friend...who is in-to concentrates. First step is to decarb, then freeze the weed for 24 hours. Then combine weed & Everclear, shake & refreeze. Then shake again & filter. You do 2 runs like this, combine & reduce the combined result by about a half...or whatever point is to your liking.

That is the basics...if there is any interest, I could post a link or the actual recipe. But I will check with the originator to make sure it is ok...

I am really liking this stuff. Very versatile for transfers for cooking, or direct consumption! Potency & dosing can be varied according to individual likes.

I plan to keep some in the cupboard all the time!! LOL

As I said earlier, I would like to find a system to safely recover & re-use the alcohol lost during the reduction process....

Happy
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Yeah, the full instructions would help if you want to know how/if the method can be improved upon. ;)

Personally, I'm not sure about alcohol extractions because some people don't drink for various reasons. I suppose, if the alcohol is cooked off, it might be more acceptable for everyone but I guess there's nothing wrong with another method instead of just hash/cannabutter/etc. either. :D
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

The alcohol can be for the extraction process only...

When you get ready to cook some goodies, you mix it with whatever your recipe calls for(butter, oil, coconut oil, peanut butter, etc, etc...), then warm it just enough for all the alcohol to vape off. Then you are left with a THC infused butter or oil. No taste, smell or hint of alcohol...

I have PM'd my friend to make sure he is ok with my posting his recipe....Or maybe we could get him to chime in.?.?.?

Happy
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

Ok, here is the method I have been using to make Green Dragon. This is as it came to me from an online friend. Thanx Sam!

Green/Gold Dragon Recipe
7g/150ml

DECARBOXYLATION:
Bake 7g herbs @ 220F for 25-30 minutes or (less heat for convection and or metal pan). This is variable dependent on the dryness of the reefer. If using seeded pot, cleaned weight should equal 7 grams.

FREEZE:
Place the decarbed 7g herbs in sealed Mason jar into the freezer for 24 hours.
Also place a pint of Everclear or other 190+ proof alcohol in freezer for 24 hours.
After 24 hours add 150 ML to Mason jar with herbals. Shake aggressively for 15 minutes.
Place back in freezer for at least 4 hours and shake again for 15 minutes.

STRAIN:
1. Cheesecloth. Cut your cheesecloth large enough that you can fold it a couple of times finishing with a square about an inch larger than the mouth of your jar. Take the lid off the jar and take the middle out, just leaving the ring. Place the cheesecloth over the top of the jar and screw the lid ring over it tightly. Take a bowl big enough to hold the liquid and turn the jar upside down over it. That will strain the plant material from the alcohol without making a mess. You may have to shake it a bit but with just 7 grams it shouldn't be too bad.

* Don't worry about pressing the material just yet. When it's pretty dry, take off the ring, remove the cheesecloth, put the center back in the lid, seal the lid and put it back in the freezer for 24 yours. You should also have your fresh alcohol in the freezer too. You'll go back and do the 24 hour combine and shake and the next one again, a second run.

2. Gold Coffee Filter. After you've strained the plant material, you're ready for the gold coffee filter. Place it over a container and pour your alcohol solution through it. You'll see a lot of trichome husks that have been stripped of the thc oils. When it dries it will look like a fine blonde kief but there's nothing left in them. Just toss it. You may have to work the filter around a little to get past those husks. If you, don’t have a gold filter you can use paper ones.

3. Paper Coffee Filter. For the third and final filter, take another mason jar without the lid and stick a paper coffee filter into the top. Push the filter into the jar far enough to form a cup and screw the cap ring over it or use a rubber band to secure it to the jar. This will be the slowest part of the process. Pour your GD into the filter until it's full. Keep filling it until it all filters through. Since you've only got about 5 ounces, it shouldn't be too bad. You will have to move the jar around to find fresh spots in the filters. Those husks really gum it up but it's worth the time. You'll get a nice clear Green/Gold Dragon. Of course, you can always filter it again if you're a perfectionist.

4. Now that the filtering is finished, put the lid back on and seal it. Set it aside in a dark cupboard until the second run is complete.

5. Follow all the same steps for the 2nd run. Freeze reefer and alcohol separately for 24 hours then combine and shake for 15 minutes, put mix back in the freezer for 4 hours, then shake, shake, shake for 15 minutes.

6. If you have a press, place a square of cheesecloth or other material over your press, being sure to allow enough on each side to fold over the ball. After you’ve strained the weed, you can dispose of the leftovers as you see fit. If you don't have a press, cut the cheesecloth large enough so that you can pull the corners together and use a wooden spoon handle to wrap them around and then twist. You don't have to squeeze like crazy because the alcohol drains well.

7., 8. Repeat steps 2 and 3 as stated above.

REDUCE
Now we’re ready for the main event, concentrating the extraction by reduction of the alcohol.

1. Set up your double boiler configuration away from flame or other open heat sources. Use a fan for ventilation. If using an electric range, be sure your vent fan is on high. The more ventilation the better. While there won’t be the concentration of vapors there would be for larger quantities, there’s still enough to cause a flash fire if not careful.

2. Have the heat source for your double boilers at a level that causes a gentle boil in the water. If you’re using a crockpot where the water may not boil, just put it as high as you can. If you use an electric rice cooker that only has one temperature, just keep an eye on it so it doesn’t go beyond the desired level. If you don’t have a double boiler set up, air evaporation will work, just slower

* If at all possible, your upper chamber(bowl) of the double bowler should fit snuggly in the lower portion a few inches above the water line. This is to prevent loss of steam and therefore water. If it’s a loose fit, keep an eye on the water level and add more as needed.

3. Measure your combined haul from both runs. If you don’t have a measuring device, you can mark a spot halfway down your jar and use that as your guide. As your tincture reduces, you can keep track of the level easier.

4. Add your dilute GD to the upper chamber and reduce it by half. Alcohol boils at a much lower temperature than water and thus will not damage the thc. Depending on your heat source, your solution may bubble a little bit, a rolling boil, or just swirls. What you want at minimum are the swirls. That shows there is action.

5. Finally, this recipe is designed to give you approximately 4 fluid ounces of concentrated Green/Gold Dragon tincture. We used 5oz of alcohol per run instead of 4 because of the small volume. I wanted to make sure the pot had good cover. For larger quantities, that extra bit wouldn’t be necessary. Wouldn’t hurt but would need more reduction. So for the last step, reduce your solution by half, or down to our goal volume, which should be about 4 fl.oz for this size batch, and bottle it. It is now officially ready to sample.

I am still learning, but so far I like this stuff and plan to keep some in my cupboard at all times....lol

Happy
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

Greetings, Happy. Thanks for inviting me into your thread. I'm very happy that you're spreading this information.

It's not "mine", I just put it into words and made it easily adaptable. This guide is just that, a guide. It doesn't have to be done exactly like I do it and after you've done it a few times you'll start to evolve it to better suit your individual needs. This is set up to teach the mechanics of the extraction and get you familiar with the base product. Once you've gotten the base, or GD, Green/Gold Dragon tincture, alcohol extraction, whatever you call it, completed, a whole new world of cannabis will open for exploration. You can use it alone as a tincture or to create all kinds of potent and delicious easy edibles whose dosage can be easily controlled and made as strong or weak as you want. You can make honey and agave nectar elixirs for oral application or for use in recipes. Concentrated coconut oil can be made in an hour once you've got your GD. And it can sit on the shelf almost indefinitely. I can't say enough about it and should probably shut up now.

Happy, I have the pictorial guides for the recipe if you want me to post them here. It's your thread, but pictures always help and I've already got them made. ;)
Heisenberg
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Heisenberg »

Nice posts w/ well thought out ideas. I'll go over the entire thread soon and before I get into great detail because I haven't read all posts yet...just want to let you know I'm here to help in any way I can.
I did notice a simple 15-minute shake step. This in itself is inadequate I'm sure and can be improved upon w/ a fun mod (like carrying it around with you after the 15') or a tedious mod (like mincing, for lack of a better word)...
It's late here so after some winks I'll be back w/ a full tank

disclaimer: all content is for educational purposes and should be ignored in every sense
SisterMaryElephant
GrowTutor Site Admin

Post by SisterMaryElephant »

Happyweedz » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:13 am wrote:I would like to find some chemist/science guy to help me put together a system to safely condense & re-use the alcohol vapors from the reduction process....but that would be another topic...
Ask and ye shall receive... (this time anyway) :lol:
I also run a medical grow consulting business in SoCal.