My restart from seed

Medical Marijuana Journals go here.
hemivette
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Re: My restart from seed

Post by hemivette »

If The rest dont look like those, you should be good. Be careful about leaving them together too long. You'd be surprised how fast, and young they can breed. If you think they are turning male, you should separate them immediately, if you can. h

PS; The 45, or straight info is from one of Ed Rosenthals books. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... iu8b23gy_b
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

Yea, I know.....thankfully from someone else's experience! All traces of the male plants have been removed and bagged and await the next fire.. :) I just wanted to give them enough time for me to be sure & I was...

The 3 remaining are looking more like females after another day....no ore little boy bumps...lol

I'll try to post a couple pics in the AM...lights are already out.

Happy
"Fill it, Light it, Shut-up & Close the door!"
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

Ooopps!!! I had a late bloomer, I guess....I had reason to suspect for a day or so, but today there is no doubt, I have another male!!!

100_4719.jpg
100_4719.jpg (124.15 KiB) Viewed 19665 times
So, after he and his clippings are gone, I am left with 2......

One female is the largest of the group, from which I took 4 clippings. The female other is the smallest of the group, from which I was only able to get 2 clips.

ALL clips have spouted roots and are in the process of having the lower leaves fade as the new growth emerges. So they are all viable...

GT, What characteristics (Other than female!) should I be looking for when trying to choose which plant to groom into a Mother? Smallest vs Largest.....

Happy
hemivette
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by hemivette »

You want the biggest, healthiest one. Also it's a good idea to have only one mom. Otherwise they will grow different. Speeds, height, etc., and could require different amounts of food. h
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

hemivette » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:38 pm wrote:You want the biggest, healthiest one. Also it's a good idea to have only one mom. Otherwise they will grow different. Speeds, height, etc., and could require different amounts of food. h
I disagree...to an extent.

Of course you want the mother to be healthy but, with LED, you also want short plants and clones from a tall, lanky, mother will give tall, lanky, clones. So, imho, if the shorter/bushier phenotype is healthy, I'd pick that one unless there are other wanted traits, like color/aroma/yield, shown by the taller one. You might not know for sure until closer to harvest time...or maybe even after if they're close.

YMMV... ;)
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

Thanx HV & GT...

Between the LEDs and the site spacing on my Aeroflo, I was kinda leaning towards the smaller of the two. At least until the "LED Stretch" is figured out. I didn't know if I should consider more than sex, health & shape. The smaller plant is compact & bushier, while the taller plant is a lot more spaced out between nodes. They both have about the same coloring and appear healthy...even though they haven't gotten the same attention as my other plants.

I will try to get a pic of each, in good lighting...after the lights come back on in the AM.

Happy
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

At this point there's nothing to decide and other considerations are primarily subjective. Things like color/aroma/taste/shape/size/health/stretch/hermaphroditism/yield are all something to think about but you'll need to see how they look at the end to tell most of that. Maybe the short one stretches more than the taller one or maybe one has a better smell/color, some of it is really up to your own tastes.

All I can say, right now, is that *I'd* put the shorter one on the top of the list until you have a reason to change your mind.

Hope that helps but it probably doesn't...yet. ;)
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

Well just because of the over-crowding problems in my past I am leaning towards the smaller of the two.

But the clips have only had roots for a couple days. So I can wait and watch....see which looks best when they are ready to transfer to a pot.

I guess I don't really have to choose until then...

Happy
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Don't judge which to keep by the clones, judge which clones will become the real mothers based on the mothers in flower now... ;)
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

Here are some pics of what I see....
Here is the smaller of the two seedlings...
Here is the smaller of the two seedlings...
100_4732.jpg (180.93 KiB) Viewed 19652 times
This is the larger of the two seedlings...
This is the larger of the two seedlings...
100_4730.jpg (222.71 KiB) Viewed 19652 times
Considerable size difference!!
Considerable size difference!!
100_4735.jpg (256.19 KiB) Viewed 19652 times
Top side of clippings...2 in front are from smaller..
Top side of clippings...2 in front are from smaller..
100_4725.jpg (123.35 KiB) Viewed 19652 times
Under side of clippings...
Under side of clippings...
100_4727.jpg (110.38 KiB) Viewed 19652 times
Right now I am leaning toward the smaller of the two, but it will be another week or two before I have to decide...

Happy