1000 HPS vs 600HPS and SS400

Ask GrowTutor members & staff about HID lighting.
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

1000 HPS vs 600HPS and SS400

Post by rkymtnman »

so, the subject says it all.

grow room is 4x3.

have 6 inch inline for cooling needs if needed

the 1000hps will give me way more penetration. the 600hps/ss400led/uvb combo will give me a better combination of light benefits. is there a benefit towards either way?

any thoughts?

thanksRKY
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: 1000 HPS vs 600HPS and SS400

Post by GrowTutor »

Pros and cons...it always comes down to pros and cons...

The 1000w HPS will penetrate better as you said, but it wouldn't veg as well as the LED combo. Where as the 600w+SS400w is less power it has a better spectra that will help in veg and flower as long as you're growing shorter plants than the 1000w. In the end, the 1000w will probably yield more but the quality *could* be better (speculation) with the combo.

Without side-by-side comparison grows it's hard to quantify any of it.
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by rkymtnman »

my bad. the LED will be my veg light. and maybe for the first 2 weeks of 12/12.

i'm leaning towards buying a ballast that can run 1000 to 400 hps and mh. i was going to try to just buy one hps bulb to start with which is where i'm debating b/t the 1000 and 600. from what i've read, the 1000 should give me about a foot more penetration.

probably, i'll have to try both somewhere down the line to see which is better.

has anybody run a MH all the way thru flower? i read that MH gives quality and HPS gives quantity. I'm guessing it's the UV from the MH that gives the quality.

i could also run the hps with some added UV bulbs too.

or i could run the hps for most of flower and then switch to MH for the last 2 weeks of flower.

decisions,, decisions......................
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

I never used MH all the way through but it should work. Before MH and HPS we used MV (Mercury Vapor) for a while but MH and HPS are better.

Some growers use a combination of HPS+MH but it's probably more for extra blue than the UV. You can always set a benchmark with one system and then try something else once you get everything dialed in and see what changes.