dwc without media?

Ask GrowTutor members & staff about *DWC.
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Re: dwc without media?

Post by rkymtnman »

i love skunks too. that's the seeds i have: nirvana's super skunk feminized. i'm more of a smell guy i think. and colors. my old caregiver grew an island sweet skunk that had the most incredible aroma.

start a new thread somewhere: favorite strains

i got my first taste of named weed in amsterdam in the late 90's to about 2006. super silver haze was a good one. and jack herer was the best hybrid i ever smoked. there are so many offspring of jack herer genetics that it would take a while to go thru them all.

the best was nepalese temple ball hash. i went to amsterdam so often that i got to know the owner of one coffee bar. he turned me on to a few grams one visit and i melted into my room at the hilton.

you ever done any short time period flower plants? like top44 ? it is done in 44 days. ak48 is done in 48 days. that's alot of time saved
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by rkymtnman »

i don't know about you , but when i check out my pic i always either chuckle or smile. Curly was the greatest ever!!!
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Back in the 80s my brother in law had some skunk, I swear it smelled like a real skunk sprayed the plant just before it got shoved in the baggie. It was THICK in aroma. ;)

You can put a fav strain thread in the VIP Lounge or the Mud Room really.

Hash is another story, in the early 80s I found some super blond lebanese hash that was fantastic in a mini bottle shaped water pipe I had. The most wasted was probably in the 80s - 2 joints of thai between 3 people. Doobie Brothers on the stereo. One guy yacked up a pound of See's Candies after the munchies set in. We were so wasted we could only laugh as he ran through the house (the bathroom was locked from the inside) looking for a place to barf with liquid chocolate running out his fingers and we named it... "chocolate barf." The best part was, he was laughing too. He finally ran out the front door, btw. Good times....goooood times. ;)

The 3 Stooges were great together but they never would have been anything without Curly. I have some Curly stuff around my house too. :D
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by rkymtnman »

man, i was crying laughing about the see's candies barf story.

it's like if you haven't been there, it makes no sense. but i still have a tear in my eye. too funny.

isn't it great that you can't die from being too high?
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Oh, you should have been there. The other guy and I were rolling, literally, on the floor, tears rolling down, holding our sides, unable to breathe. We'd start to calm down and one of us would say "chocolate barf" and we'd be rolling again, meanwhile barf boy is hosing himself off on the front yard and comes in, laughing...which sets us off again. My sides were sore for 3 days, like a boxer used my ribs for a punching bag. We were listening to China Grove when he first jumped up and ran for it, I'll never forget it. I could get Alzheimer's and remember that...

I ate too much edible meds once and had a slight anxiety deal but that's about as much as can usually happen. ;)
hemivette
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by hemivette »

First of all you need some sort of medium to keep the roots moist, unless you have an areo system, and then you'd have to have the pump coming on every 30 seconds.

I believe what SME means by having the roots closer to the bottom is, when you go from the cloner to the net pot, put the plant in the pot then fill it as high as you can with clay. The quicker the roots get out of the pot, the quicker the plant will grow. Once the plant grows a bit, you can finish filling the pot with clay, and put the top on. Also its a good idea to leave them in the cloner til the roots are as long as half the circumference of your pot. (Ie; 6in pot= 3in root) This way your roots are almost ready to come out everywhere they can.

As far as strains go. A lot of the potency has to do with your experience. Knowing what nutes to use, and when. Also the quality of the lights you use, can greatly increase potency. I give people plants all the time, and they cant figure out why there's isnt as good as mine. Knowing your strain can greatly increase the quality, because you put them through less stress. Everytime you put them through a major stress, you might as well add two weeks to the grow. h

PS; I had some GreenCrack once, and I walked around the parking lot for 30min looking for my car. Only to realize, I drove my truck. :lol: Good times!
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by rkymtnman »

hey hemi,
thanks for the reply.
i don't see why i need a media to keep the roots moist? if i put the clones in a neoprene collar, the roots will be dangling. i would just have to have my water level semi close to them and the splashing/bubbling of my DWC should keep them moist.

the point about the roots close to the bottom makes sense. but if the clones are fairly short, and let's say i can fill up a netpot halfway with hydroton. how do i keep the light out of the top of the netpot if the plant isn't tall enough to put the lid on it? does that make sense? i always tried to put the clone into the netpot so that i could fill the entire netpot with hydroton (no more light getting in) but then it would take alot longer for the roots to make there way thru the hydroton and out.

thanks,RKY
hemivette
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by hemivette »

rkymtnman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:15 am wrote:hey hemi,
thanks for the reply.
i don't see why i need a media to keep the roots moist? if i put the clones in a neoprene collar, the roots will be dangling. i would just have to have my water level semi close to them and the splashing/bubbling of my DWC should keep them moist.

the point about the roots close to the bottom makes sense. but if the clones are fairly short, and let's say i can fill up a netpot halfway with hydroton. how do i keep the light out of the top of the netpot if the plant isn't tall enough to put the lid on it? does that make sense? i always tried to put the clone into the netpot so that i could fill the entire netpot with hydroton (no more light getting in) but then it would take alot longer for the roots to make there way thru the hydroton and out.

thanks,RKY
Are we talking clones, or plants? Clones dont need a pot, cause they are not as heavy. Basically the netpot supports the weight of the roots, plant, and buds. A neoprene wont support that. You need the clay to help with the support, and it will also keep the roots wet, which is very important while its first rooting. Once the roots are out of the pots, and in the water, you're fine.

As far as light goes, if you get it 1/2-3/4 full, you really wont have issues. It will only take a couple days for the roots to get to the water, and they will go crazy. Within a couple more you'll be able to fill it the rest of the way, and put your top on.

One thing I have noticed, is you can somewhat adjust your plant/bud size, by your netpot size. So if you're trying to keep your plant amount down, use a bigger netpot, and you'll get bigger plants. just remember to not get so big you lose penetration. It will take time to learn your room, and adjust to it.

If you really decide you like the DWC way of life, and you want to stick with it. We can design you a nice RDWC, that will work much better than totes.....Tip....Start looking for a chiller ;) Its about $400 for a good one, but sometimes you can find one on craigslist for half that. Keeping your root temps down to 65 greatly increases the amount of nutritional uptake your plant will receive, and greatly increases the size, and potency. Also you'l experience a lot less deficiencies, because the plant will be able to get everything it needs....You might want to change your letter to Santa! :lol: Peace! h
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by rkymtnman »

hey hemi,

i was talking about clones and plants. my idea was to have the best of both worlds. i buy clones by the way here in CO. but my thinking was to take a 5" neoprene collar and put it into the top of my 5" netpots. it would give the roots easier access to the nutes and as they grow bigger, the collar would be supported by the netpot. and as the roots wind there way out of the netpot they would be supported there too.

if you check out the tutorial section, you'll see my new rDWC being built as we speak. one more 2" pvc elbow and i can glue it together and put some water in to test it. but yeah, i have the chiller already. i tried my first year and a half to do DWC without it but always had root temp issues. no more problems anymore.

thanks,RKY
SisterMaryElephant
GrowTutor Site Admin

Post by SisterMaryElephant »

In DWC the plants get top heavy, use the hydroton to help support the plant when it gets bigger. If you're worried about clone root length, give them a few more days in the cloner or under a veg light. ;)
I also run a medical grow consulting business in SoCal.