GT's Pumpkin Patch 2014...

Show off your outdoor garden & greenhouse journals here.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

GT's Pumpkin Patch 2014...

Post by GrowTutor »

I gutted a pumpkin (to feed my worms) in my compost pile (mostly grass clippings, paper, used coco and little vermicompost for the beneficials) last January, thinking that the seeds were buried deep enough to keep from sprouting. I was wrong. :D

I've done *nothing* other than watering, I just want to see how much worm food I can produce just by letting it go. If it lives - it lives and if it dies - it dies. My worm bin will probably get all of the pumpkin and much of the other plant matter. Of course, I could compost the whole thing where it sits making the poor compost better and returning the nutrients used to grow the pumpkins back to the compost pile. We'll see...

(I should have started taking pictures sooner)
5-27-14:
6-10-14:
:thumbup:
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: GT's Pumpkin Patch 2014...

Post by GrowTutor »

I've neglected my pumpkin patch and the updates but here they are...

June 23/24:

The patch is getting bigger with long runners... Pumpkins getting bigger too! ;) Here's a friend visiting the patch... The morning bees are still pollenating flowers: I'll post more recent pictures next... :D
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

July 6th:

The runners are still running and the bees are still bee-ing.... Because this patch was never meant to be a patch, I've had to water from the top which caused a powdery mildew problem and we had a little heat wave so the plants have suffered...
Even though the older leaves and vines seem to be dying, the pumpkins keep on keeping on... It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! I'll try to update more often but I've been really busy with my back and other projects...
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

The pumpkins started going bad on the ground so I harvested all but two of them. :(
On the up-side, the worms have never been fed so well. I may have to expand my worm bin soon. :thumbup: