Oklahoma DUI law

The Legal Jungle in Oklahoma...
Purpmonkey
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Oklahoma DUI law

Post by Purpmonkey »

Just a little more messed up information, in Oklahoma don't drive until all marijuana metabolites are completely out of your system or you may face a DUI charge.

New Oklahoma Marijuana DUI Law
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: Oklahoma

Post by GrowTutor »

MPP exaggerates a bit, using scare tactics, but the law is still very bad.

"This new law has little to do with keeping roads safer and will result in safe drivers being arrested and found guilty for DUI days or even weeks after they last used marijuana."
How would a safe driver get pulled over and tested for MJ? If you were driving "safe" and got pulled over for a busted tail light, for example, why would you be tested for MJ? If the cop finds MJ or smells it in the car I suppose it *could* happen but if you live in OK wouldn't it be kind of stupid to have your car smelling like MJ, driving with MJ t-shirts on, MJ bumper stickers, a bag of dope or a roach in plain sight, etc? At some point people have to take personal responsibility too. In all of my years, including dozens of speeding tickets I've never been tested for MJ (by the police) or caught with any.

"We urge voters to contact their representative and senator and ask for a repeal of this awful law."
Does OK have voter initiative laws? Not all states do...
Purpmonkey
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Purpmonkey »

It's just one more thing to tack on to other charges, nothing that most people would ever have to worry about. Although I have to say that just because I have marijuana metabolites in their system does not give the right to be given a DUI.

Yes, Oklahoma does.

Laws Governing The Initiative Process In Oklahoma
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

I FULLY agree that the presence of MJ metabolites does NOT mean that a person is under the influence but...why would they be tested for MJ if the officer doesn't already believe that they are under the influence? I don't know about OK but, here, they have to have a reason (probable cause) to think a person is under the influence to stop them, perform a field sobriety test (which doesn't exist for MJ other than smell or plain view observation), arrest and then perform a blood/urine test. Safe drivers are pretty safe, drunk drivers might get caught for the pot too but they shouldn't have been driving under the influence anyway.

Again, it *IS* a bad law and it *should* be changed, no argument there, I'm just saying that the scare tactics used by MPP (and other political orgs) are a bit much. Do you agree that you should *not* drive while high? If so, then most people charged will deserve it. Laws can be fixed...

There's your solution; if politicians don't listen then make them listen via voter initiatives. That's how we passed the very first MMJ law and it's how we'll probably decriminalize for recreational use too.