GTEL (E-Liquid) Experiments

GrowTutor members & staff share their knowledge of cannabis concentrates & extractions.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

GTEL (E-Liquid) Experiments

Post by GrowTutor »

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that didn't work" -- Thomas Edison

Result Expected: Concentrated THC/CBD in typical VG/PG e-liquid.

My first attempt at converting GTGD into an e-liquid successfully showed how NOT to make an e-liquid. ;)

Ways to successfully make e-liquid:
1) TBD

Ways to TRY to make e-liquid:
(in progress)
1) Fill desired container with ground (decarb optional) cannabis and cover with 50-50 PG/VG mix. Let sit in a cool dark place for 3 months. I'll sample a few drops every 30 days or so to test progress.

(Future experiments)
1) RSO converted to PG/VG
2) Decarbed ground cannabis in 100% VG heated at low temps for 4-6 hours.
3) GTGD reduced 10x and then added to 100% VG
4) Trichomes in PG/VG heated at low temps for 4-6 hours.
5) Sonicated Cannabis in PG/VG.

Ways NOT to make e-liquid:
1) Reduce 60ml of GTGD into 5ml PG/VG over low heat.
Actual Results: Watery, cloudy, no vapor cloud, not potent enough, too much sediment even after multiple filters.

GT
Heisenberg
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Re: GTEL (E-Liquid) Experiments

Post by Heisenberg »

Cinco de Mayo (-1 day)
A for effort, just remember the rule ;) really nice future e's
Original substances coming from the matrix need to be eliminated when they're a problem...identifying "sediment" after filtering stages will help tremendously by discovering if they're new components (resin formations for example) versus particles passing through the filters.
I wanna see pics if possible. Which filters were used?
Cook time once target temperature is reached is invaluable because w/o it we have no confidence in repeating the procedure. Thanks GD just remember the rule! nice Thomas Edison quote

//i seem to test my typing-speed skills everytime i log onto a forum//
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

I'm not sure which rule you mean?!?
Rule #1: Don't blow yourself up!

The sediment is just fine silty plant matter and/or chlorophyll that separates from the liquid over time or with filtration. Like the fine silty stuff left in the bottom of a cup/pot of black coffee. For this test I only used coffee filters but I bought 12.5cm lab filters (103 slow and 101 fast) for next time. I'm not sure the micron size for any of them.

I even bought some other lab equipment too; I would have asked for advice before ordering but our resident scientist doesn't hang out much lately. Life happens... ;)
Heisenberg
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Heisenberg »

A couple nifty filtration consumables will make cleaning up that debris simple. One is a filter attaching to a syringe using the Leur lock feature on many syringes. Here's a link to just one manufacturer's products http://www.labsupply.co.za/laboratory-p ... ilters.pdf http://uklabsupply.com/index.php/steril ... ilter.html

Packaging seen on websites has its' sensationalism/eye-appeal, like in https://www.labsupplyguys.com/cellulose ... sing-11-pk however these are sometimes used in sterile environments. The more basic the better, no need for eye candy bubblewrap

The other consumable is a disposable syringe with a small filter column inside the syringe near the outlet. I'll try to scrape up some pics so everyone has a better idea what they look like.

These two filtration techniques are awesome for small volumes.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

UPDATE:
It's only been about 3 weeks but I've been playing around with normal e-liquids lately so I decided to flavor my current experiment since this is for vaping not smoking. I'll give it a little test after the first of the month but I plan on letting it sit for 3 months to see if I get max absorption. If month #3 is significantly better than months one and two then I could even extend the soak. I also need some better glassware to do these longer soak type extractions, maybe beakers or test tubes with stoppers or just some small mason jars. Sonication would speed up the process but I don't want to spend that kind of money right now. ;)
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

After 4 weeks I've tested a few drops of GTEL that has been soaking. The effect was muted but somewhat noticeable so let's see what happens in 4 more weeks. I'll need to experiment more with flavorings too because the taste isn't great. ;)
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

So, it's been over 4 weeks. How'd it go?
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

I forgot about it, it's been steeping in the dark for over 6 months. I guess I better charge the battery for my dripper to test it. :D

Stand by...
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

Btw, what's GTGD? Grow Tutor....?
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

PsychedelicSam » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:54 pm wrote:Btw, what's GTGD? Grow Tutor....?
GrowTutor Green Dragon ;)
http://www.growtutor.com/forums/viewtop ... f=68&t=134
I made it with Everclear 151 proof due to state law.

I'm testing the GTEL right now... :shh: