GrowTutor's first Green Dragon Experiment
I wanted to try a simple GD experiment that I can use as a baseline to tweak and test other projects, including a e-liquid conversion for vaping in an e-cig or a related vaping mod. Originally I wanted to get it down to one hit potency but since so many people have different tolerances I decided to make it 3 hits...for me. That way those with a smaller tolerance can take one hit and those with a larger tolerance can take more.
This post isn't about the e-liquid though, it's just about the GTGD and fine tuning might come later. I also came to the conclusion that if I'm going to be doing product reviews and taking pictures I need a better camera than the 8mp camera in my phone.
1) I started with 15g of well cured Dark Star cannabis flowers:
2) Then I did a DMHO extraction (which didn't work as well with dried and cured flowers as I expected) for 5 days, changing the solvent every day:
3) I then dried the flowers (below 30% RH) quickly to prevent mold:
Then I returned them to a cVault storage container with a 62% Boveda pack so they wouldn't be too dry or too wet for grinding.
4) I then ground the flowers using a new coffee grinder that I'll be using to make bigger batches later.
5) California Law limits alcohol to 75.5% so I used Diesel 153 proof instead of Everclear 151:
For the first run using about 5oz (150ml)
Stirred with a chopstick
Which was stored in the freezer and shaken several times per day for 2 days
Which was then strained and drained through cheesecloth
Which yielded about 4 ounces (most of the loss was what stayed in the cheesecloth) for the first run
6) For the second run I used another 5 ounces and did the shake and soak for 2 more days
Which yielded a little less than 5 ounces more that was added to the previous wash in the freezer
7) The third wash I used about 6 ounces and repeated the shake and soak for 3 days which yielded a little over 5 ounces.
For a total of about 15 ounces of unreduced solvent.
8) I then reduced the 15 ounces in a small crockpot for several hours
Leaving me with 6 ounces of reduced GTGD from 15g using 450ml (16oz) of 153 proof alcohol that I store in an 8oz amber bottle.
For my first test, tonight, I tried .5ml orally but I had smoked an hour before so I'm not quite sure it's strong enough. I'll try another .5ml-1ml tomorrow morning while I'm fresh and see how that does.
It tastes and smells kind of like rubbing alcohol and bongwater so I'm not happy about that but with more reduction and use in other edibles/consumables it might not be too bad.
I may need to reduce it further and I'll definitely need to reduce it a LOT more for the e-liquid experiment later but that's another topic.