GTGD - Experiment #1

GrowTutor members & staff share their knowledge of cannabis concentrates & extractions.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: GTGD - Experiment #1

Post by GrowTutor »

I'm probably done with the 151 (I'll use what I have left of that elsewhere) I'm going to buy 200 proof ethanol so there won't be any water in the mix. It's officially "not for drinking" in this state but 100% is 100% imho. I *could* further distill the 151 to pull out more water but that wouldn't be legal. ;)
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

I've gotten KleenXtract and recommend it even for tinctures. I wanted to try it to make sure it could be used "wet" and even had a chemist check out the MSDS. It's food grade. You have to be careful with the 100% because of the drying agents being used. Besides it hygroscopic so it acquires some moisture from the atmosphere as soon as it's opened. You'd have to have a lab to prevent it, so it becomes like Everclear (190) although I might have detected some increased extraction from it. It will take more personal testing. :)
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Yeah, they're local too. Can't get more pure than 100%. I think RKY has a good source too. ;)

True, the longer you leave it open the more water it'll absorb. I wouldn't sweat the atmospheric too much, eventually it's going to be prepared then consumed anyway.
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by rkymtnman »

Hey Guys,
Yeah, I got my KleenXtract off Amazon but if they are local, can't you just bring in the big brown jug and have them fill it up for ya? Like getting a growler filled up at the local brewpub.

CO has clarified the law a bit: the Att Gen has said manufacturing MJ concentrates is illegal on a personal level. A bunch of dumbasses blowing up there homes has screwed it up for the rest of us. Guess I'll be going back to icewater method. That does not make it a concentrate. Good thing I didn't invest much money in the QWET method.

I do have a question though: so I did the QWET method and have some wax. Is there an easy way to make it more liquid to be able to be put into a vape pen. Right now, it's the consistency of taffy, very sticky and thick.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

It might thin out in VG or PG (PG is thinner) but it will also dilute it if it works. You might be better off just buying a vape pen that will work for the QWET wax and kief. I won a @CloudVapes Cloud Platinum on twitter and it works well for wax so far. If you like the QWET, I'd keep doing it since they'd have to catch you in-the-act of making it. ;)
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by rkymtnman »

hey GT, on a side note, what did CVaults ever do for you after your great review of them? did they hook you up?

I'll check out those pens and go from there. I've got plenty of wax from my 2 runs to last a bit. The wifey doesnt' like it so it's all MINE!
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

rkymtnman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:44 pm wrote:hey GT, on a side note, what did CVaults ever do for you after your great review of them? did they hook you up?
They said they were going to send a care package but I think they forgot with the holidays and all. Either that or they sent it without a sig required and it got snatched off the front porch. I haven't bugged them about it since I didn't expect anything when I wrote it. I really need to get writing more reviews and articles, I've just been so demotivated lately. I think I'm going to be testing my back with a grow in the near future, I just have to make sure it's all up off the floor to make it easier on me, I'm thinking flood/drain in tents rather than a whole room. I'll just start from clone to test and worry about finding/breeding long term genetics later.