Post by GrowTutor »

Updates? :?:
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Re: DIY rDWC system

Post by rkymtnman »

Well, rDWC performed perfectly.

Spider mites did not. 2 weeks to go and infestation. A few possible sources but not sure exactly.

Cut plants when done and put in an old broken fridge with 2lbs of dry ice. Shut door and prayed they would die of CO2 exposure. Removed plants 12hrs later. Did kill some but not all. Oh well.
Spider mites 1, RKY 0

Will be building a drain to waste coco system. I'd like to be able to leave them for a few days without worry. I'll be using the same tubs as the rdwc so not much new investment.
new journal to come...
Heisenberg
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Heisenberg »

rky: spider mites show up on ur new scope?
i'm pretty sure unfrozen plant matter will continue to process/convert CO2 into Oxygen. Mites could very well "tap" into Oxygen-containing fluids within unfrozen plant matter...enough to survive many hours??
Excellent effort to knix the buggers. Adults (& pupae?) may hibernate?? How well do they tolerate UV? 8-)
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

UV and Ozone are all bad for mites but also for people and plants. Very high (no pun intended) concentrations will eventually work but it can take a while. Once established they're hard to get rid off while the grow is...growing. Once the grow is done you can sterilize the room, just be sure not to reintroduce them after.
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by rkymtnman »

thanks guys. yeah, the new scope showed those little buggers really well. had spider and 2 spotted mites. since it was so close to harvest, from what I read not much to do. I came up with the dry ice idea: had no idea if it would do anything. sounded good to me though.

after harvest, hit the room with a can of doktor doom and then 2 cans of the raid fumigators. the plants i have going now were treated with neem oil twice before I flipped them to 12/12. cut off a few leaves and no sign of them.

i just have to be careful of going to my outdoor greenhouse before I go into the grow room inside and I think I'll be alright ( I hope!)
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Sounds like you have it under control now... :clap: