Canna-Coconut Oil Concentration for Caps - Dragon Style

GrowTutor members and staff share recipes for yummy cannabis edibles.
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Canna-Coconut Oil Concentration for Caps - Dragon Style

Post by PsychedelicSam »

Concentrated Canna Coconut Oil Pictorial

This post will visualize the Solvent Transfer process from your GD to coconut oil and will also address customizing the potency to your needs.

This technique is exactly the same as the solvent transfer from Green Dragon to butter so that info is the same but I do want to include how to concentrate your coconut oil for uses other than recreational edibles. Coconut oil is a wonderful substance for increasing the bioavailability of cannabinoids and has many healthy benefits of its own. Many people, including myself, like to place it in capsules for use as a pain killer or sleep aid or other usage. For those purposes the oil needs to be more concentrated than you can get it with a direct extraction. There are different ways to achieve your concentration such as reducing your Green Dragon to the strength you want before adding to the coconut oil needed for the caps but this guide is being based on the assumption that you've made a quantity of GD at a standard potency to use in edibles but want to concentrate a small amount for the medical coconut oil caps without having to reduce it all.

My standard strength is 2.25g/fl oz. That's a 1:1 ratio of GD and coco oil. If my GD was 1.5g/fl oz, then a 1:1 ratio would be that strength. I decided to make it double strength and in this case that would be 4.5g/fl oz. I measure my oil dosage by droppers, not very exact I know. I get more than 20 doses per fluid ounce, so let's just use 20 as convenient. One dose is approximately .25g if you go by that but dosing by tincture transfer is like using a concentrate and the effects are much, much greater than a direct extraction with the plant material.

1) Ingredients: Green/Gold Dragon, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and a measuring cup.
Solvent Transfer Concentrated Coconut oil1.jpg
Solvent Transfer Concentrated Coconut oil1.jpg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
2) Using 4fl oz of GD.
Solvent Transfer Conc Coco Oil2.jpg
Solvent Transfer Conc Coco Oil2.jpg (58.17 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
3) Using 2fl oz of Coconut oil. That's a 2:1 ratio GD to Oil.
Solvent Transfer Conc Coco Oil3.jpg
Solvent Transfer Conc Coco Oil3.jpg (56.49 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
4) Using my larger double boiler setup because of the increased surface area, I placed both in the bowl and evaporated off the alcohol. I didn't realize that I had it sitting in such a precarious place. Dodged a bullet there. :eek:
Solvent Transfer Conc Coco Oil4.jpg
Solvent Transfer Conc Coco Oil4.jpg (67.53 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
5) Finished canna coconut oil. 2fl oz total. Look how dark it is compared to the previous picture. This is double strength.
Solvent Transfer Conc Coco Oil5.jpg
Solvent Transfer Conc Coco Oil5.jpg (59.84 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
6) This is a comparison. The cup on the left is what's left of my last batch of standard strength oil. The one on the right is the same amount of of double strength oil. I placed just a small amount in these cups so you could see the difference in color better. The cup behind is the remainder of this batch. This is just the natural color with no other influence.
Solvent Transfer Conc Coco Oil6.jpg
Solvent Transfer Conc Coco Oil6.jpg (57.95 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
7) And this is the difference in the caps from the standard and concentrated batches.
Solvent Transfer Conc Coco Oil7.jpg
Solvent Transfer Conc Coco Oil7.jpg (35.85 KiB) Viewed 6228 times