Cannabinoid extraction

GrowTutor members and staff share recipes for yummy cannabis edibles.
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Cannabinoid extraction

Post by FCG-Frank »

So while I love cannaedibles, I do not appreciate how the expected taste of the recipe is significantly altered. What's worse is that it's the oils and terpenes that add the fragrances, and they do nothing to get you high.

Chemistry was never my strong suit, so I e-mailed the only chemist I knew who works in a lab and asked him about cannabinoid extractions and how I could separate them from the oils. Clinical trials sometimes administer cannabinoids in mg shots so I knew it was possible.

He described the method, which is complex and out of reach for a common mortal, but I am brainstorming on separating just the cannabinoids or at the very least, as few oils and terpenes as possible.
Last edited by FCG-Frank on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: Cannabinoid extraction

Post by GrowTutor »

Check out our Concentrates & Extracts forum! ;)

Sam claims the GD extraction method has a minimal taste impact and if you use THAT to make your cannbutter which is then used in other recipes, you'll have little to no taste impact. That's one of MY biggest problems with most edibles too, bad taste.
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

I have transferred the GD to coconut oil and/or butter several times for brownies & cookies.

With fudge brownies you can taste a slight hint of the coconut, but in peanutbutter cookies no taste comes through...

After making two batches of peanutbutter cookies in the same weekend we joked about making my whole office fail a drug test because I made one batch clean to bring to work for the holiday goodie day and the other batch with GD transferred into to share with friends at home....

I couldn't notice any big differences in smell or taste...but I like the taste of weed.

Happy
"Fill it, Light it, Shut-up & Close the door!"
Purpmonkey
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Purpmonkey »

After my next grow, I will have to make some GD. It's always in my mind when I'm about to eat the first medible "glad I've got all day" then about an hour later it "oh yeah definitely going to need all day" I have always used a mix of about 60% coconut oil 40% kerrygold butter.

Happy, have you ever made cannaflour then used GD with the butter for a double kick?
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by PsychedelicSam »

Purpmonkey » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:27 am wrote:After my next grow, I will have to make some GD. It's always in my mind when I'm about to eat the first medible "glad I've got all day" then about an hour later it "oh yeah definitely going to need all day" I have always used a mix of about 60% coconut oil 40% kerrygold butter.

Happy, have you ever made cannaflour then used GD with the butter for a double kick?
I'm not Happy but I have done what you're proposing many times, although not with cannaflour. Does cannasugar qualify, or honey. or agave nectar elixirs along with the butter or oil? I am really fond of those "double whammy" edibles for my personal use and also for medical grade doses that require a bigger hammer. It is better for the edible if the dose can come from different sources so that there isn't a overabundance of a single item and it also is easier to increase the potency without changing anything in the recipe to compensate for an extra ingredient. :)
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

No PM, I haven't tried that...but am always interested in that extra kick!! LOL

I am still fairly new to edibles and extracts....but I soooo want to learn. One of my goals is to smoke less, but enjoy this plant more...

Sam is where I have learned most of what I know about edibles & extracts.....I just don't have the material to try all the things he comes up with...

Happy
"Fill it, Light it, Shut-up & Close the door!"
40Yearsmoker
GrowTutor Prospect

Post by 40Yearsmoker »

So how many of us use marijuana medicinally but still have to have those "dreaded recreational side effects"? IMHO an edible without them is just food.
I have been a student of Psams for about a year now, What a difference in quality of life.
I like to use a combination of sugar and butter/oil for my "double whammy" edibles. In my case, I feel the effects of the sugar almost instantly, then as the sugar rush is wearing off here comes the butter/oil. The sugar has made my edibles so much more fun, I mean effective, OK both. Try it, you'll like it
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Some people want to medicate without the high so they seek out low THC/high CBD strains and use different extraction procedures to deal with that. I prefer high (no pun intended) THC and CBD partially because it works better for me and partial because I started as a recreational toker and enjoy that part too. :D
Heisenberg
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Heisenberg »

FCG-Frank » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:18 pm wrote:...I e-mailed the only chemist I knew who works in a lab and asked him about cannabinoid extractions and how I could separate them from the oils...

He described the method....
Would his Method still be available? Could it possibly be shared here if it is?

Nothing within or without my rantings amounts to much other than general entertainment & educational transcription - Consult your Physician accordingly before initiating Treatment plans