A Better Butter - Green Dragon Style

GrowTutor members and staff share recipes for yummy cannabis edibles.
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

A Better Butter - Green Dragon Style

Post by PsychedelicSam »

This recipe uses a Green Dragon extraction for the THC source called a solvent transfer instead of a direct extraction from reefer How you make your Dragon is unimportant as long as you have the potency. For those needing a guide, this is the one I use: http://www.growtutor.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=36

With this pictorial I'm showing how to transfer the thc to butter in the correct ratios for recipes. I use clarified butter because it tastes the best and doesn't leave any kind of residue. Taste is important because this method leaves no weed taste so it tastes like butter! Most cannabutter can't compete in the taste category. Normal unsalted butter works well, also. I really just use ghee or clarified when making a gourmet item, but regular butter of a box mix.

Sometimes it can be hard to figure out potency for your butter edibles. You may use a quarter of weed in a stick of butter, half cup net, and want to have your brownies, for example, to have that full strength for a full recipe. But what if your recipe only calls for a quarter or third cup instead? If you add all your butter you run the risk of messing up the recipe. Sure, you can still eat it but it may not be pretty for social consumption.

By using the solvent transfer method to make your butter you can control your potency and use the exact recipe quantities. There is no loss of enhanced butter left behind in the pressed cheesecloth, no cheesecloth in fact.

For this pictorial I'm making some butter with which to make some walnut oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and the recipe calls for a stick of butter, 1/2 cup. So I'm using 4oz of clarified butter. I like my cookies to be at least double strength but preferably more, with a half cookie really good for most. Since I will make 2 dozen cookies, I need a minimum 48 edible doses. I consider 1fl ounce of my GD at 20-25 edible doses at least, so I want to use 2fl oz for a great buzz.

If this recipe called for a quarter cup and I wanted it at the previously noted potency, I would still use 2oz of GD but only half as much butter. Conversely, if the recipe called for 3/4 cup of butter and you still had the same number of servings, the GD would remain the same but the butter up 2oz. The GD will remain the same as long as the number of servings remain the same. If you only have 10 servings but want to keep this same potency, you would halve the amount of GD and so on....

1) The ingredients are my GD in the glass and a half cup of clarified butter.
Solvent Transfer Butter for Recipes1.jpg
Solvent Transfer Butter for Recipes1.jpg (63.48 KiB) Viewed 46573 times
2) Showing the 2fl oz of GD
Solvent Transfer Butter for Recipes2.jpg
Solvent Transfer Butter for Recipes2.jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 46573 times
3) Combine both ingredients in a double boiler and evaporate off the alcohol until all the bubbling stops.
Solvent Transfer Butter for Recipes3.jpg
Solvent Transfer Butter for Recipes3.jpg (62.95 KiB) Viewed 46573 times
4) This is the final product. It is a light green but i could detect no weed taste when I spread some on that roll pictured there. It was gooooood!
Solvent Transfer Butter for Recipes4.jpg
Solvent Transfer Butter for Recipes4.jpg (60.06 KiB) Viewed 46573 times
Time to make some cookies:D

I often will make enough butter for several batches and then put enough for a batch, 1 fl oz, in separate portion cups and store in the freezer. Then, because each represents a batch, I'll take one and add it to the remainder of fresh butter called for in the recipe and stir it in well.
Solvent Transfer Butter for Recipes5.jpg
Solvent Transfer Butter for Recipes5.jpg (216.45 KiB) Viewed 46573 times