Psychedelic Sam's Zesty Italian Sausage Divine

GrowTutor members and staff share delicious recipes and more.
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Psychedelic Sam's Zesty Italian Sausage Divine

Post by PsychedelicSam »

sausage devine7.jpg
sausage devine7.jpg (84.71 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
I consider myself a decent cook and my friends consider me to be a better than decent cook. Who am I to argue? This is a recipe that I developed in 1985 specifically for gourmet pot luck at work or other large gathering. I have had great success with it over the ensuing years. It's great to watch your friends' or co-workers' eyes light up when they bite into this.

This is not a THC infused dish, just something I wanted to share before I'm not able to share anymore. This is a personal recipe and no one else has it.......except you, now. Try it out for Memorial Day weekend coming up. If you like it, please pass it along and I guarantee that you will like it, you and everyone else who tastes it.

"Psychedelic Sam" is not a recent persona as witnessed here. I titled this in this written version in '85 and the name has been my alter-ego since 1970. I don't know....maybe I'm schizophrenic.

Psychedelic Sam’s Zesty Italian Sausage Divine
A Perfect Dish for PotLuck, Parties, Reunions or any other gathering. Do it right and everyone will sing your praises (it’s actually pretty hard to screw up).

First, the ingredients:
5 pounds Italian sausage links (minimum)--I like half hot & half sweet.
3/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 large bulb of garlic (or equivalent)
1 large yellow onion
1 large white onion (not Vidalia)
1/2 stick of real butter
2 lemons or limes (or equivalent)
1 1/2 tablespoons or so of each of the following:
thyme, marjoram, sweet basil, black pepper, habanero pepper sauce, & oregano *note: do NOT use Tabasco or other cayenne based hot sauce . Cayenne is an immediate, intense heat in your mouth and will numb your taste buds to the flavors in the sauce*
1 large can of tomato paste
1 larger can of tomato sauce (assuming you don’t care to make your own)

Now, let’s put it all together!

First, slice or chop the onions-yellow/coarse, white/medium fine-and set to the side separately.
Next, in a large pot, pour in the cans of tomato paste and sauce and add enough water (2 of the sauce cans, approx.) to make a thick, smooth sauce. Stir in the molasses until blended then add the brown sugar and butter (the butter homogenizes and bonds the other ingredients). Simmer for 15 minutes then add the white onion & all the spices, except the habanero sauce and continue to simmer for an hour, stirring often. At this time I recommend setting aside the sauce until the following day (refrigerated, of course) which allows all the flavors to meld. You can add the habenero sauce about 10 minutes before you stop the simmer if you decide to wait. If you decide to continue at this junction, add the pepper sauce and keep simmering on low. Add water whenever the sauce gets too thick.
sausage devine1.jpg
sausage devine1.jpg (63.78 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
Preheat your oven to 375. Cut the links into 3-4 pieces each and place in a baking pan then spread the yellow onions over them.
Sausage devine2.jpg
Sausage devine2.jpg (79.14 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
sausage devine3.jpg
sausage devine3.jpg (84.43 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
Stick in the oven and cook for about 2 hours or until fully cooked and browned, turning often.
sausage devine4.jpg
sausage devine4.jpg (87.41 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
While this cooks-either the same day or the following-continue to simmer the sauce until the links are finished. At that time you should add the juice of the lemons or limes. You must use your taste buds on this step. Add the juice to the sauce until it “fizzes” on the tip of your tongue. Simmer sauce another 15 minutes, then drain the sausage & onions and add to the sauce.
sausage devine5.jpg
sausage devine5.jpg (63.61 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
Then add enough water to the pot to thin sauce and simmer for another 2-3 hours or until the sausage is tender and the sauce has thickened. If I have the time I like to refrigerate the final result overnight in order to allow the sauce to completely permeate the meat, then heat it up before serving, although it is good as a cold appetizer, also. However, by this time the aroma in the kitchen is quite heavenly and it can be next to impossible to keep the family away. If that’s the case, dig in! It’s still delicious and the leftovers will be even better.

Please be aware that the quantity of spices used are approximate and are based on taste, so keep that spoon handy and sample often. If you think it needs more or less of an item, feel free to adjust.

Bon appetit !
sausage devine6.jpg
sausage devine6.jpg (44.73 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Re: Psychedelic Sam's Zesty Italian Sausage Divine

Post by Happyweedz »

Mmmmm, that sounds like it would be great for a holiday drop-in!!

Happy
"Fill it, Light it, Shut-up & Close the door!"
PsychedelicSam
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Re: Psychedelic Sam's Zesty Italian Sausage Divine

Post by PsychedelicSam »

Oh, it is, Happy. I started making it for potluck for work and then for other gatherings. It's great for football season when you have friends over or any other time. It can be eaten as an entree or sandwiches. If I do say so myself, it's excellent. It's pretty much a blue collar gourmet item. :)