SisterMaryElephant's Fire & Brimstone Crock-pot Chile

GrowTutor members and staff share delicious recipes and more.
SisterMaryElephant
GrowTutor Site Admin

SisterMaryElephant's Fire & Brimstone Crock-pot Chile

Post by SisterMaryElephant »

I make this in a large crock-pot so if you have a small one, beware...it's kind of hot too. :twisted:

Ingredients:
2 pounds lean ground beef (or the meat of your choice (I've used stew meat, rabbit, pork sausage and ground turkey))
2 cups chopped onion (white or yellow (shallots work too))
2 cloves finely diced garlic (cloves not heads)
1 (8 oz) can of tomato paste
1 (7 oz) can of nacho sliced jalapeno peppers (including the juice)
1 (15 oz) can red beans (drained)
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans (drained)
1 (15 oz) can black beans (drained)
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans w/ jalapeno
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes w/ jalapeno
2 (1.5 oz) packages of powdered chili seasoning mix
1 (8 oz) jar of Pace Picante sauce - HOT
.5 cup water (not 5 cups)
2 large (or 3-4 small) Habanero peppers (diced VERY fine (optionally removing the seeds and ribs if you're afraid of Hell))
1 tbsp course ground black pepper

Finely chopped cilantro (garnish)
Shredded cheese of choice (garnish)

Directions:
Brown (or sear) your meat over med-high heat with the onions and garlic, breaking up the bigger chunks of ground beef.
Drain the grease off and dispose,
Dump the meat/onion mixture and everything else in the crock-pot.
Stir to mix well.
Turn on Crock-pot to cook for 4-6 hours on high or 8-12 hours on low. (stir once or twice while cooking but no more than that)

Serve over cornbread or rice, sprinkled with chopped cilantro and shredded cheese, enjoy the heat!

Warning: If your mouth is on fire, drink whole milk, not water or beer, and pray.

(Freezes well, in smaller serving size containers, if you have a lot of leftovers like I do)
I also run a medical grow consulting business in SoCal.
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Re: SisterMaryElephant's Fire & Brimstone Crock-pot Chile

Post by rkymtnman »

sounds delicious!

i love fall because it's such a good time to make chili. i made a batch 2 weeks ago. couldn't find fresh habaneros so i used pickled habaneros. it was good but not as hot as I like it.

do you have ground bison/buffalo or elk in your grocery stores? i can get both and usually use instead of beef.

damn, now I'm hungry.
SisterMaryElephant
GrowTutor Site Admin

Re: SisterMaryElephant's Fire & Brimstone Crock-pot Chile

Post by SisterMaryElephant »

Yeah, I make big batches and store it in the freezer, in individual portion sized containers, so I don't get burnt out eating it for a week solid and I can have some for later. It's OK with crackers but best with cornbread. :D

Ooooh elk chili sounds SOOOO good. I absolutely LOVE elk and venison but zero stores sell it here, I'd have to order it and have it shipped frozen. Buffalo might be available (also frozen) occasionally but not every store would have it. Now I want an elk roast and some elk jerkey too... :(
I also run a medical grow consulting business in SoCal.