Illumitex

Ask GrowTutor members & staff about LED lighting.
Purpmonkey
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Illumitex

Post by Purpmonkey »

My local hydro shop just got in some new led lights from illumitex, they seem fairly bright but as always they are expensive and they do not have cooling fans. The light bars are able to be angled manually which could be a plus.

Has anyone seen these in operation?
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: Illumitex

Post by GrowTutor »

I never heard of them but I checked them out a bit. Which model did you see?

They're based out of Austin, TX but I don't know if they're *made* there. They seem "new" and the website makes it look like they used to do "other lighting" and then recently started in the agriculture market.

The lights use what appears to be an LED array (which have traditionally had problems in the past) of unknown power. They don't give actual draw or LED watt specs. The adjustable thing might be helpful for some but its real gimmicky to me. They probably aren't as good for growing cannabis as they would be lettuce based on the size/shape. Spectrum seems OK from what I saw quickly but I didn't spend much time on it...

I don't think they'll want to send us one to test/review... ;)
Purpmonkey
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Purpmonkey »

I will see if he has a spec sheet the next time I stop in and get a picture of it if he does, I didn't see any cooling fans but he said it doesn't get hot. I find that hard to believe. It was a big green thing the from their site it is the neosol ds
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

That one does have a little info but not much; "520W (one-to-one replacement for 1000W HPS)" which is bullshit and we don't know if that's LED watts or actual draw. 48"x24" so it's too big to fit in small tents and too weak, alone, for larger tents. If you want to roll the dice with a new LED light, I'd wait until somebody makes an all Cree 10w diode light.

If the company sends one we'll review it but they'd have to be mighty confident in their light to ask us to do it.