Organizing grow area

Ask GrowTutor members & staff about how to design and setup your indoor grow room.
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Organizing grow area

Post by FCG-Frank »

Ok guys, I need your advice on how to setup my new grow area. These past two grows I started from seed, ScroG'd in a 2x4 tent. DWC is my medium, water is free and unmetered where I live, and I have all the apparatus to make unlimited amounts of RO water. Plus I got all the pumps, chillers and apparatus needed for hydro.

My new grow area will have
One 4x4 tent (bloom)
One 2x4 tent (veg+clones?)
One 2x2 tent (mothers?)

I have a 1000HPS with Solis Tek ballast for the bloom tent
I got two SS400W LED fixtures for the vegging and one extra weaker LED for something else (mothers?)

I used to work with a plant limit but this will change.

I am looking to make the most efficient perpetual grow possible. I'm only familiar with DWC and was planning on building my own RDWC system (I'm manual), but from what I have been told, high density SoG is more efficient if plant amount is not limited, and there's no way Im fitting 96 buckets in a 4x4 area.

So what other options do I have? I can build anything to my specifications but it has to be hydro.

I haven't made the switch to clones yet and have no mothers. I have six White Russian seedlings I started in DWC and rapid rooters that are two weeks old.

I also have two 48 sites cloners (96 sites total).

How would you set things up to be more efficient and how should I use those six seedlings to make more clones and potentially a mother?
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: Organizing grow area

Post by GrowTutor »

Wow, that's a bit complicated but let's see what we can do.

Starting with your spaces and lights:
4x4 = 1kw HPS for flower.
2x4 = veg+mothers = SS400w x 2 (you wouldn't need to veg as much if you run SOG but 2x4 needs 2 lights.
2x2 tent = rooting clones = smaller LED light. (Clones will root better with a dark period so you can't put them with the veg or mothers that need 24/0) Since rooting clones doesn't need much vertical space you can use multiple layers (shelves perhaps) to fit more in...if needed.

It's *great* that your municipal water is free and unmetered but how clean is it?

IF you want to SOG (and I'm going to assume that you do for now) you can build a custom DWC table that would work for SOG but DWC might be overkill for high density SOG (4+ plants /sqft) or you could switch to ebb&flow, NFT, Aeroponics or even soil/coco.

DWC, NFT and Aero will need a chiller, soil/coco and ebb& flow will not but it could still *help* the ebb&flow if ambient temps get excessive. If you use remote reservoirs that could be less of an issue too.

You can take your 6 seedlings and pick the best one as a mother plant and then clone THAT one to have multiple mother plants with the exact same genetics. Then you only need to take enough clones, from all of your mothers, to fill your SOG and then, again, before harvest to repopulate. You'll want your clones to be FULLY rooted and in veg 1-7 days (depending on root structure) before harvest.

After that it's lather, rinse and repeat. ;)
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

I have a 60 gal tub I keep filled with RO water at all times, it auto-fills up, so the water is clean. It's not like I live in Uganda either ;)

Im familiar with aeroponics and ebb & flow, not NFT. Not interested in soil.

I don't know which option is best for my circumstances since I've only ever ran DWC setups. I do like the fact Aero is simple, even the DYI route.

How many mothers would I need to produce 92 clones every 8 weeks?
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

That depends on how big they are but a good rule of thumb is to not cut more than 50% of the mother at one time, then it has however long the flowering time is to recover. Since you're starting from seed it'll be better to have more mothers and you can cull one or more if they start getting too large. Simple. :D
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

Can I grow trees in RDWC for my moms?
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Absolutely, you'll have to do more pruning, than just taking clones, to keep it from overgrowing your tent though. ;)
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

I've found a few DIY Aeroponic setups. Pretty simple. Sub pump, manifold made of ABS/PVC, a tote... we're not building a V2 rocket here.

Any tips or things to watch out for before I start building this?
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Yeah (have I ever not had tips? ;) ), *IF* you've decided on Aero, instead of using round PVC pipe, use 6" square ABS/PVC fence post covers. It's easier to work with, you can use a larger netpot and it has more room for roots. (also see hemivette's stadium NFT, except you'll need spray heads and you'll want yours flat and close together for SOG spacing.)

If you use long runs make sure it's supported so it doesn't sag and you need an angle so it drains well. Also, lightproof it, light for leaves, dark for roots. Don't forget the chiller.
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

FCG,

I have an Aeroflo....after having it and learning more about it, I don't think it would be real difficult to duplicate for a DIYer.

I'd be glad to answer any Aeroflo type questions, if I can. And if you need pictures of any aspect of how they do it, let me know.

Happy
"Fill it, Light it, Shut-up & Close the door!"
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by FCG-Frank »

Thanks for the heads up!

Are squared ABS fence posts something I would find at Home Depot? Never seen those before.

They're not sold in plumbing I assume.