Greetings from Canada

Please, introduce yourself here.
FCG-Frank
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Greetings from Canada

Post by FCG-Frank »

So, how do you like that polar vortex we sent you guys, eh? ;)

I'm relatively new to the world of medical cannabis. I took my first hit in my early twenties (yes, I was a late bloomer) because I witnessed the ravages of drug addiction as a teenager in my family and was put off by drugs for some time. Prejudices and bias against stoners didn't help either. A few years later I began using it regularly as a sleep aid (I'd vaporize before bed). Then a few years after that, I was concerned about some concentration problems and decided to quit cold turkey. About three months after I stopped using, I developed gastrointestinal symptoms that persisted. Then blood arrived, and pain. Months of waiting and investigation finally led to a diagnosis: ulcerative colitis, an auto-immune disease that attacks the digestive tract, which causes bleeding, all sorts of fun stool related symptoms, cramping and in some instances, a lot of pain. It is incurable.

The first pharmaceutical treatments had no effect or made me worse, due to an allergic reaction. The next step in treatments required a battery of tests to make sure I qualified, which takes months. Meanwhile, I was getting worse. I contacted a friend I went to medical school with (I dropped out after three years, he did not) who has had Chron's Disease since teenage hood, which is the sister disease of ulcerative colitis (they're both classified as auto-immune inflammatory bowel diseases). I was open to every and any suggestions, including adopting a paleolithic diet if necessary *gasp*

My friend admitted to chronic, daily cannabis use, which he had kept a secret because he feared for his job, which is understandable. He chose a specialty that was compatible with his disease, in case anyone is concerned. He does not practice medicine while stoned.

I admit I was shocked. Firstly because I had went to medschool and didn't remember cannabis was ever discussed as a viable treatment for symptoms, let alone the disease itself. I am an ultra-rational person, my friend knows that, so he sent me scientific literature on recently conducted clinical trials on IBD in Israel. The first of many, I would soon find out. I immediately contacted my supplier and started using again. To say that cannabis changed my life would be an understatement. It saved me from hospitalization and intravenous cortisone, that much is certain.

After about a month of heavy reading I couldn't believe all that information was out there, in the literature. It had been there all this time and nobody in medical school had said a word about it. I still held biased views that weren't even rooted in science or logic. So I educated myself, found out I could apply for a license to grow my own cannabis, and after months of hoop jumping and 450$, I had my card. It finally hit me: I had been self medicating my disease, probably for years, without even knowing.

Since then, it's been a constant journey of learning and growing. Sadly, the Canadian program has changed and I will have to stop growing for the time being, but the experience has tainted me forever. Although my current professional occupation is photographer, I'm thinking about finish my biochemistry MA and do some research on cannabinoids and my disease.

I just harvested close to a pound of Royale Haze, and will be harvesting another 1 or 2 lbs of White Russian this spring. I have not yet experimented with RSO, but many reports indicate it works wonders on IBD, and I am looking forward to trying it. My current regimen is vaporizing 3g a day spread out in 8-10 doses. It hasn't quite put me in remission yet, but it has eliminated all pain, cramps, bleeding and reduced intra-intestinal inflammation significantly as confirmed by my last colonoscopy, without ANY other treatment aiding the healing process. My GI was amazed and didn't believe me until he put the camera up my ass and saw the healing for himself. Now he agreed to read all the peer-reviewed literature I dumped on his desk.

I've had several negative experiences on grow forums, I look forward to make these forums an interesting daily place to visit! :D
Last edited by FCG-Frank on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: Greetings from Canada

Post by GrowTutor »

Welcome to the forums Frank!

Anybody that has used it as medicine, KNOWS that it's medicine. ;)

GT
Happyweedz
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Happyweedz »

Hey Frank,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but glad you found relief!!!

And Happy to see you here...

Happy
"Fill it, Light it, Shut-up & Close the door!"
40Yearsmoker
GrowTutor Prospect

Post by 40Yearsmoker »

Hi Frank
The RSO should work wonders. Have you looked into edibles? I know you would have issues because of IBD but they might give you longer lasting relief without having to vape such a large amount of flowers. Not that that is a bad thing, but I was courious.