Nutrient comparison

Ask GrowTutor members & staff about nutrients.
Purpmonkey
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Nutrient comparison

Post by Purpmonkey »

Hello everyone,

I am on my first hydro grow, so I was wondering which nutrients are worth the money?
What nutrients are just a waste of money?
Is there any nutrients every hydro grower should have in case of problems?

I am using the GH flora series with a half strength lucas this grow, I think durning flower I may switch to the CES I picked up for cheap from a local hydro shop.

I can say that I used floranova bloom for dirt twice now and it's thick hard to mix and by the time you get to the bottom it's mostly salt it, sounds like it at least

The GH flora is easy to mix and seems very stable in RO in my ecogrower, I'm liking it a lot so far, it doesn't even have a bad smell
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: Nutrient comparison

Post by GrowTutor »

I've seen comparison grows that suggest that Advanced Nutrients (AN) is WAY overpriced and has less than honest claims about performance based on marketing propaganda regarding X number of scientists that supposedly developed it. I don't like companies like that, personally.

I've used the Flora and the Floranova series and not only does the FN expire but it doesn't store well in the cold which may be what you experienced. It seems to solidify and no amount of shaking seems to undo it.

I might try something different next time but I've always liked the Flora series, especially with the Lucas Formula in hydro.
Purpmonkey
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Purpmonkey »

One time I called GH and the guy told me FN never expires. I wasn't going to argue with him, but all I wanted to know was how to tell the production date so I could tell how old it was. The CES nutes only cost $8 a bottle so I couldn't pass it up that's half the cost of GH. Is there anything you always keep around? Or any way you like to modify the lucas formula?
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

I have to call BS on the not-expiring FN...

GH bloom and micro. ;) I always have calmag and pHup/down of course. I don't know what I'll try next.

I've tried a few additives that I got free samples of but nothing stood out to where I'd buy any of it. I'd have to do side-by-side comparison grows to be convinced that the additives work.
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by rkymtnman »

hey PM,
i used cutting edge last grow in lucas formula. i thought it was as good as GH flora series in lucas. i multiply my micro by 2.4 to get bloom amount and it's pretty close to the lucas ratio.

i think another good thing to have on hand is a florakleen type product. i think a good salt flush a few times during a grow is a good thing. especially when switching to 12/12. and if you run into nute burn, you can do a 24hr quick flush and usually stop any more damage. and you can use it at end of grow for the final flush.
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by rkymtnman »

and i think advanced is a joke. they have it seems like 50 different products for the entire grow. and they aint' cheap either.