Plant hormones

Ask GrowTutor members & staff about nutrients.
Purpmonkey
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Plant hormones

Post by Purpmonkey »

Ok, so I've been reading a lot about plant hormones and there effects on plants, I find that most are now commercially synthesized. Is there anybody who has experimented with different hormones on plants.
I see everyone using superthrive which is just b1 and plant hormones from what I understand. So what else could you use on them? could we reduce stretch for people using led lights? The reverse side could you make monster plants outside by micronizing plant hormones and spraying your crops, The government allows it to be done to our food and we eat that.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: Plant hormones

Post by GrowTutor »

Plants in general? ;)

I'm not sure that they use hormones as much as they modify genetics if we're talking about GMO. That would be something beyond a "nutrient" discussion.

When it comes to botany, I'm an amateur so I really have no idea about plant hormones but Super-thrive contains vitamin b1 and a synthetic growth hormone that works best for cuttings/clones and the veg stage of growth. I have used it in flower but I've heard that it doesn't really do much there. It's definitely not going to create franken-plants.
Purpmonkey
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Purpmonkey »

That's what I would be worried about is fraken plants coming to life in my sleep, I never did get over the movie little shop of horrors!
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

OK, you've had enough...put down the brownies. :lol:
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by rkymtnman »

hey PM and GT,

i've also been looking into this topic too. i'm interested in finding something to add to my nutes at the beginning of my grow. i start with clones and it seems like they would really help early root growth and plant health.

the one product i was looking at is hormex liquid. it has IBA and NAA which i think are the main hormones. it's been around for many yrs just like superthrive.

anybody try it?
RKY
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

I've heard of Hormex but I never tried it. Give it a shot... :D
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by rkymtnman »

yeah, i sent them an email inquiring about using it in hydro. haven't heard back from them yet. maybe it can be the first test: superthrive vs. hormex??
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Yeah, if you have a large enough sample of clones to root/veg it could be a good test.
rkymtnman
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by rkymtnman »

do you know why hormex and superthrive aren't supposed to be used in flower?
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

It's the NAA I guess:
1-Naphthaleneacetic acid

"Use and regulation

NAA is a synthetic plant hormone in the auxin family and is an ingredient in many commercial plant rooting horticultural products; it is a rooting agent and used for the vegetative propagation of plants from stem and leaf cutting. It is also used for plant tissue culture."

Maybe it does work to SOME degree in flower, at least with some plants:

"Use and Analysis of NAA[edit]

NAA is widely used in agriculture for various purposes. It is considered to be only slightly toxic but when at higher concentrations it can be toxic to animals. This was shown when tested on rats via oral ingestion at 1000-5900 mg/kg.[3] NAA has been shown to greatly increase cellulose fiber formation in plants when paired with another phytohormone called gibberellic acid. Because it is in the auxin family it has also been understood to prevent premature dropping and thinning of fruits from stems. It is applied after blossom fertilization. Increased amounts of it can actually have negative effects however, and cause growth inhibition to the development of plant crops. It has been used on many different crops like apples, olives, oranges, potatoes, and various other hanging fruits. In order for it to obtain its desired effects it must be applied in concentrations ranging from 20-100 ug/mL."

So this could help breeders that WANT seeds but too much is bad and I wouldn't ingest plant material that was seeded with NAA + Gibberellic acid, I'd just grow out the seeds.