Mixing procedures

Ask GrowTutor members & staff about nutrients.
Purpmonkey
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Mixing procedures

Post by Purpmonkey »

I know everyone has there own way of doing things, but I was wondering how does everyone mix there nutes?
If you have a large amount of water....well even like me 10 to 15 gallons is a lot to have to move around. So would it be easier to make them in the res or would it be best to mix your nutes in 4 or 5 gallons and dilute with RO?

I will be doing my first res change this weekend and I'm unsure what to do with the plants while I mix nutes and let it adjust ph and allow to stabilize. If I do it in the EG, any suggestions would be very helpful. Right now I figured I would just take them out and let them sit in a bucket of the previous nutes.
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Re: Mixing procedures

Post by GrowTutor »

I usually mix mine *in* the res but I've done it often enough that I know about how much of what I have to add so it's not unbalanced for long enough to hurt anything. It may also depend on what kind of hydro system you run. RDWC starts circulating as soon as it hits the res where ebb&flow doesn't cycle until the timer hits a few times per day.

For those starting out it's safer to mix batches outside of the res and fill it after the mix is dialed in and stable. That requires multiple smaller batches or another spare res of the right size and maybe a pump to transfer it which isn't that bad either.

It's another of the "no, one, right way" deals... ;)
Purpmonkey
GrowTutor VIP Member
GrowTutor VIP Member

Post by Purpmonkey »

I'm using a GH ecogrower drip system only keeping 10 gallons in it right now my current res has almost 10 gal. Of distilled water with 30 ml GH micro and 50 ml GH bloom plus 5 ml of GH rapidstart and I Phed it to 5.8 which has and still is stable res temp fluctuates from 61 to 68 depending on the time of day roots hit the water yesterday afternoon on day 14 of being in the EG
GrowTutor
Professor A. GrowTutor

Post by GrowTutor »

Yeah, those were just examples of different systems that either constantly recycle or do so on a timer. ;)